CCC to more than a single ext HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I am going to upgrade the HDD on my MacBook Pro, but my CCC disk doesn't have the space elft on it to complete a clone. So is it possible to do the clone to more than one ext HDD?

Failing that I will have to take most or all of my photos and copy them onto a smaller ext HDD, format the CCC disk and do a completely fresh clone?

I get the message that there isn't room on the CCC disk to complete the save.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Failing that I will have to take most or all of my photos and copy them onto a smaller ext HDD, format the CCC disk and do a completely fresh clone?

I get the message that there isn't room on the CCC disk to complete the save.

I know that's a pain but it's probably the best way to make sure that you have a working clone.

If I understand your first idea correctly it would mean putting part of the clone on one drive and part of the clone on another one. That's probably possible but there is lots of room for error there.

BTW once you complete the clone test it to make sure it is working. If it is you should be able to boot from it. CCC doesn't mess up often but it does happen every once in a while.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Ta for the very quick reply Dude. After I had tryped the above I got my brain cell into gear and came to the conclusion that it just wouldn't be a good idea to try to split the clone!

So I will dump the photos onto an ext HDD and do it that way. Then before anything else I will use your idea and make sure it boots from it OK.

The version of CCC I have is 3.5.3 and 4 is now out. Do you reckon it's worth upgrading to the new one?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the chart showing which version works with which versions of OS X. If you are running Yosemite you will need the newer version. The demo of the newer version is fully functional for 30 days so it might be worth trying some of the new features.

I paid for the upgrade because that program has saved me a few times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The version of CCC I have is 3.5.3 and 4 is now out. Do you reckon it's worth upgrading to the new one?

Just to address the above - I upgraded from 3.5.x to 4 last month - 50% off, i.e. $20 for owners of the previous version. The interface is 'slicker' and features have been added (check HERE) - for such an important app, a cheap upgrade IMO - good luck w/ your plan. Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Sly.... - you 'beat me to the draw' and why are you not opening your Christmas presents, may be that new iPhone you want! :) Have a happy holiday season - Dave

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to address the above - I upgraded from 3.5.x to 4 last month - 50% off, i.e. $20 for owners of the previous version. The interface is 'slicker' and features have been added (check HERE) - for such an important app, a cheap upgrade IMO - good luck w/ your plan. Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Sly.... - you 'beat me to the draw' and why are you not opening your Christmas presents, may be that new iPhone you want! :) Have a happy holiday season - Dave

Apparently I was a bit naughty Dave. Santa not only failed to leave a new iPhone I couldn't even find a lump of coal around the house.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was under the impression that coal was for 1st footing way up there in Scotland..

Failing that, you would be pushed to find any coal in this part of the world. Loads of wood, but I suppose if you compress it enough and wait for a few million years you have yer coal??

I have now got the CCC 4 and after not saving my photos the save is now in progress!!

Our Christmas is almost at a fin, but what the **** I hope that all have had/are having a lovely Christmas day!! Good luck and fortune for all in 2015!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was under the impression that coal was for 1st footing way up there in Scotland..

We probably have one of the world's largest reserves of coal in the US but our ever so clever politicians who are playing nice to the EPA alarmists have decided that coal is taboo. Can't even give it away for Xmas any more.

Have a Merry Xmas there in France and don't drink too much of that great French wine and Champagne! :p

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chan-poo!! CHS go and wash yer mouth out!! Down this way we have the Blanquettte de Limoux. I's the fizz that the cham-poo merchants stole to produce their overpriced wine from.

Blanquette was around 100 years before the cham-poo, it's about 1/3 the price and unless you get a cham-poo that will cost a mortgage then it's a **** of a lot better!!

You may well have the ooal, but we live in the biggest vinyard in the world! All that wine and so little time :eek::eek:

You have a goodun too. I always work on the principle that when I have had enough to drink I fall over :Mischievous::Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Chan-poo!! CHS go and wash yer mouth out!! Down this way we have the Blanquettte de Limoux. I's the fizz that the cham-poo merchants stole to produce their overpriced wine from.

Blanquette was around 100 years before the cham-poo, it's about 1/3 the price and unless you get a cham-poo that will cost a mortgage then it's a **** of a lot better!!

You have a goodun too. I always work on the principle that when I have had enough to drink I fall over :Mischievous::Mischievous:

Hey John - I've enjoyed using CCC v.4 - hope all works out well w/ your backup!

Wife is now roasting a pheasant for our Christmas dinner - a nice bird for two that pretty much tastes like turkey - of course, we will have some bubbly - this time from New York State (Fingers Lake district - Dr. Frank below) - I rarely splurge anymore on the 'real' French stuff - just a non-Vintage here runs $40+.

Like your signature - just by coincidence, I'm wearing the t-shirt shown below at the moment - will be my dinner attire - Dave :)

CF 2008 Blanc de Noirs1.jpg

Pheasant.jpg

improve_with_age_dark_t_shirt_tshirt-r4b5fd4ceaeb447b5b209cbc52ca5414d_va6p2_324.jpg

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As the French say "bon apitit", or at least I hope that it was?

The last time we had pheasent was a while back and I had shot it. Not the easy way, with a gun but with my trusty catapult!! We had 2 cock pheasents visiting our garden at the time and I told SWMBO that I was going to have one of them. She had said "NO WAY" which was the red flag to a bull. I gave up plucking them a long while back. Skinning is so much easier ane less messy. After a few days hanging in my workshop it tasted really good, especially washed down with a drop of the red stuff. SWMBO enjoyed it too with the words "can't let it go to waste can we" :Mischievous::Mischievous:

The French have their main Christmas meal on Chistmas Eve and we were invited around to a neighbour/friend. Capon spit roast on the lounge open fire!! The aperatif was had with a bottle of organic Blanquette. A fairly good one that cost all of 9€-ish.

I really can't remember the last time we had a wine that came from more than a few miles away. Far too much choice for so late in life, it's such a shame :Mischievous::Mischievous:

Back on track.. I downloaded CCC V4 and dropped most of my photos off the clone and cloned what's left OK. Now to see if it boots frm the CCC disk??

Sucess, it boots OK, so now when the new SSHD arrives I will be able to do the swop sans problems, I hope??

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.