CCC message

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
I have a question. I now have CCC and a nice external drive. SO far I have made 1 CCC clone backup. Yesterday I went to do it again and it gave me some message after I hit the clone button about a recovery partition.
Do you erase and redo the entire drive each time, or do you let it do an incremental clone? I want this backup to be the same as the internal one so I can just swap it out if necessary.
What should I have answered to that question? Thanks!

This was on a usb external drive of 500GB in an elephant cabinet connected to a MBP 10.9.5 mavericks (see side bar)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If the initial clone is good (bootable) and seems to be working an incremental clone should be fine. An incremental clone is usually much faster than re-cloning each time. Try booting from your clone by holding down the Option key on restart. If you can log in and run an app or two properly the clone should be good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a question. I now have CCC and a nice external drive. SO far I have made 1 CCC clone backup. Yesterday I went to do it again and it gave me some message after I hit the clone button about a recovery partition.
Do you erase and redo the entire drive each time, or do you let it do an incremental clone? I want this backup to be the same as the internal one so I can just swap it out if necessary.
What should I have answered to that question? Thanks!

For my CCC cloned drives (do duplicates for my iMac & MBPro), I allowed the program to create the 'recovery partitions' - may not be that important but some further discussion HERE - and for your first clone, test to make sure that it works as suggested by Slydude, and also good to test periodically after that initial cloning. Dave :)

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.