CCC and which part to clone to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
As above. I know it's probably a dumb question to most of you, but would I direct the clone to go to 'High Sierra'? It looks obvious that that's where it should go but I've been caught by the obvious thing before. Also, does it need to be apfs as I've made it for High Sierra, or would something else be better suited.

While I'm at it, I've got a Mojave update of 6.05 GB in my applications folder. It's called 'install mac os mojave.' If I clone the internal drive on High Sierra can I use it on Mojave if I do the upgrade.?
Disc utility.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Pete. No dumb questions here. The odd dumb answer - I've contributed a few myself :)

Taking your questions in turn.

To use CCC, your Source is your Macintosh HD and the Target/Destination is the External Hard Drive (EHD) to which you will hold the clone.

Next: Both APFS and HFS (aka Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) are valid destination formats when using Carbon Copy Cloner 5 on High Sierra and Mojave. This Quote is taken from the CCC site which makes for truly excellent reading. See here:

If you make a CCC backup of your current macOS High Sierra and subsequently Upgrade to macOS Mojave, future CCC backups should be on a fresh EHD. That way, you always have a means of going back to macOS High Sierra.

You may already have this, but a Time Machine backup is also very handy, but requires a separate EHD and that MUST be formatted HFS, aka Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

Hope that helps a bit.

Ian

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks Ian, you're advice is much appreciated as is all the rest of it I've had over these past weeks. I'll have a read through that. The reason I asked is that even though it's dimmed I see another High Sierra and container disc 3.
Talking of TM, it saved my bacon yesterday when I managed to wipe photo's off my drive... don't ask.
I've got drives to spare now, so I'll make a TM back up before doing anything else.
Give me an auto transmission, differential, engine petrol or diesel and I'm happy, but all this electronic jiggery pokery just goes over my head. I might have to take it out on that bottle of single malt again. ;):)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.