Catalina Desktop picture

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, iPhone 7 Plus
I have downloaded macOS 10.15 Catalina and ensured that updates are in place.
I have changed the desktop picture from Catalina Day to Catalina Shoreline. When I next switched on the desktop reverts to Catalina Day, after entering Password the desktop changes to my preferred desktop picture (Catalina Shoreline)
Has anyone experienced this and how do I keep Catalina Shoreline without having to go through this inconvenience every time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
There is a log on screen default wallpaper. I’m not sure if there is a way to change that?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
With Mojave, you just had to replace a specific file in /Library/Desktop Pictures for the login wallpaper to change, it's different with Catalina.

You have to do a bit more work in the recovery console. Look at at he answer to this Stackexchange question and see if you want to go through that process.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just to reassure you what you are experiencing is normal. The login screen is always (unless we can find a way to change it in Catalina) the default advertised desktop image. Changing it in System Prefs > Desktop and Screen saver only effects the logged in user's desktop image. If you had say 3 users on your device with seperate logins each one will see the default screen until they login, then they will see the desktop image that they chose in their user preferences.

OP
Chrysippus279
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks to all of you have answered my query, I am most grateful for your input
Just read through the notes on Stackexchange question and Phew!! it seems extremely daunting for a newbie.
In my innocence I assumed it would be just a case of selecting the appropriate Desktop Picture, clearly not the case. Many thanks once again.

“Tell this to everyone where ever they are watch the skies keep watching the skies” Kenneth Tobey 1951

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
In my innocence I assumed it would be just a case of selecting the appropriate Desktop Picture, clearly not the case. Many thanks once again.

Did you try disabling SIP and then replacing the picture image that is currently being used with the picture image you do want to use but name it EXACTLY as the default image was named, including the extension.

A Shutdown and new boot may be required to get it to work, and don't even think about doing anything without a current backup before you start mucking about inside that OS X.

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Did you try disabling SIP and then replacing the picture image that is currently being used with the picture image you do want to use but name it EXACTLY as the default image was named, including the extension.

A Shutdown and new boot may be required to get it to work, and don't even think about doing anything without a current backup before you start mucking about inside that OS X.

- Patrick
======

Won't work with Catalina. Did work with Mojave and other previous versions of macOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Won't work with Catalina. Did work with Mojave and other previous versions of macOS.

Thanks for the info Ashwin and I was thinking in the background they have probably removed even such a small custom change such as this.

I guess the days for customizing one's Mac with Apple's latest OS X with even a small change has almost come to a close I guess. Too bad.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Security has been tightened up considerably in Catalina. Catalina divides the Macintosh HD container into two containers: One consisting of the system which is read only for security purposes, and the other for data which includes the user home folder.

OP
Chrysippus279
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One sort of solution, of sorts that is and simple, leave your Mac on all the time, that way your preferred desktop picture will always be there. I fully appreciate the need for extra security, still it leaves the situation as is !!

One Nation under GOD indivisible with Liberty, a large fries and a coke to go”

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Are we talking about the wallpaper for the login screen, or the Desktop wallpaper AFTER logged in? I thought it was after, but the comments are a bit all over the place. You absolutely can change your personal Desktop wallpaper, though it was a little twitchy. Right-click on your Desktop and select Change Desktop Background. Below is a screen cap of how I am set up. Now, the glitchiness came in when I was first setting this up. I think that every time I clicked a picture, the wallpaper would change to that, but then clicking anything else would revert back to the default Catalina wallpaper. It was very bizarre, but it's stable now. Do you have the Appearance setting, under the General preference pane, set to Auto? If so, maybe that's the issue? I don't have it that way myself, but I recall when setting up the install, it demoed how the wallpaper of Catalina would change based on light vs dark theme.

EDIT: I took a further gander at the default desktop wallpapers and I see now the light/dark theme "should" be limited to the dynamic wallpapers there when on Auto. If you are selecting the Catalina Shoreline wallpaper, that should stick. Do you have any of the options selected to change the picture like I do?

screenshot_01.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Chrysippus279
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your reply Lifeisabeach.
I am referring to the Wallpaper at Log in Screen, (Catalina Shoreline) this is prior to entering My Password. I would like to see it at both at Log In and after Log In (Catalina Shoreline) this is my preferred picture. Unfortunately I do not have any of the options as indicated by yourself.
My apologies for causing any confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am referring to the Wallpaper at Log in Screen, (Catalina Shoreline) this is prior to entering My Password. I would like to see it at both at Log In and after Log In (Catalina Shoreline) this is my preferred picture. Unfortunately I do not have any of the options as indicated by yourself. ...

If you can or if Catalina OS would even allow you to muck about in its System folder, unlikely and not really advisable, if you want to replace that default login image with one of your own, you may find it if they haven't changed the name used by searching on:
defaultdesktop.tiff or [email protected], or something similar.

When you find the default image file, try naming your file exactly the same name and replace the default.

But I think it has already been stated that the OS will not allow that anymore I no longer works.

PS: Find Any File.app or EasyFind.app will be needed to locate such files.
And of course a current backup before doing any mucking about!!!!

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Chrysippus,

Welcome and thank you for your post.

Below, I have posted a selection of Links which purport to change the Log In Screen. I'm obliged to warn you to be very, very, careful.

Even before macOS Catalina, previous versions of the Operating System (OS) required very detailed manipulation to achieve what you are asking and in macOS Catalina, the situation is harder because of the way the OS works - two Internal Hard Drives acting as one but separate at the same time: HD (which stores your OS and is locked) and HD Data which contains same.

Please be very careful. Many posts on this forum from people carrying out normal every-day activities finding problems, shutdowns etc. And you want to change protected settings. The Log In Screen is only there till you input your Admin PW and is always blurry - is it that important?

Well, if it is, here are a number of Links covering earlier OSs and Catalina - your risk:

Easily Change Your Login Screen Background on a Mac
How do I change the login screen background in macOS Mojave? - Ask Different
https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/cbcv9o/how_to_change_the_login_screen_wallpaper_in/
HOW TO: Change The Log In Screen Background Wallpaper on macOS

Good luck

Ian

OP
Chrysippus279
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IWT
Many thanks indeed Ian for your good and timely advice. I am convinced that it would be extremely prudent in this case. I can see the benefit of leaving well alone (very old advice I have been assured)
I am really grateful to all of you that have taken the time to answer my query. Best Wishes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.