• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Carrying money

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
I carry around $40-60 cash + change in my pocket and have a debit card in my wallet. I like using cash for small purchases, like fast food, gallon of milk, etc. Typically if my total is less than $20 I will use cash. But for big spending - gas, groceries, etc - I use the debit card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
$12.42??? Quick! Jump Him :p

please... save me the black and blue, I'll just do a secure wire transfer to you so no one takes it ok?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
With a snoopy avatar :p haha... jk. You could be like Herald(sp?) on Harold(sp?) and Kumar go to white castle... He carries around that nice looking bag!

LOL! Actually, without even realizing it, I did buy a messenger bag nicknamed the "Jack-pack" because it was used by Jack Bauer in an entire season of "24". It's really a good bag: big durable, and cheap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Nice! Where in NJ do you live, exactly? Do you typically carry a firearm? And do you work out often? ;)

I live in the Livingston which is a town similar to the much more famous Short Hills. I work out often but nobody in this area would mug someone for $100 there are plenty of people in the are who carry a lot more.

OP
I
Reaction score
Currently I carry a wallet around with debit cards and about £20-£30 in notes and coins.

It gets annoying in shops having to faf around with getting coins in and out of my wallet so im going to start just putting coins loose in my pocket and see how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
It's a plastic world, baby. ATM & Credit, in a wallet. Occasionally a $20. coins go in the ashtray of the truck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
I think men should unite and make it acceptable to men to carry around things like this again. Just stuff a bunch of tech toys in it and call it a gadget bag.

i always carry a bag. its one of those nike bags with the string straps that go on your shoulders like a back pack. very stylish and for guys, yo dont get second looks. maybe try one of those ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I usually hit the ATM in $40 increments, though I have no problem carrying around large sums of money. I'm a pretty intimidating looking guy and my wallet is probably the only thing I've never lost in my life. Plus, I'm fiercely protective of it in any crowds.

But I don't really like carrying a wallet simply because I hate sitting on it. That and all the other junk in my pockets (keys, phone, change, camera, anything else) is a real pain. I kind of miss when I lived in China. There it's perfectly acceptable and normal for men to carry a small leather bag or satchel for all that junk. It was usually something very plain, black leather and no strap. I tried carrying one around when I got back to the states, but got tired of the sideways glances. I think men should unite and make it acceptable to men to carry around things like this again. Just stuff a bunch of tech toys in it and call it a gadget bag.

I do the same - cash as needed. Like you, I'm a big guy, and although I don't think of myself as intimidating, I'm told that once you get me mad, I'm very scary.

The bag you speak of exists: It's the Brenthaven 15/17. Perfect for a Mac, an external USB hard drive, a camera, mouse, and power cables. I could stash my wallet in it, and I DO stash my phone in it. That bag, a Leatherman on my belt, and sunglasses. What else do I need?

OMG, I've turned my laptop bag into a purse. Shoot me now ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I usually only hold a maxium of $15 on me. Cause I believe it's too risky these days carrying a lot of loot on my person. It'd make me a magnet for thieves and cutpurses/wallets.

Most times I'll just use eftpos to purchase anything really expensive.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
usually no cash, maybe a few dollars at the most for vending machines - and even that can stay in my wallet for weeks at a time.

used to be more cash, but my newer wallet makes carrying cash more difficult as that section is very tight if i keep bills the proper lengthwise way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I carry: ID, Student ID, Debit, Giant Eagle Advantage Card.

No cash. No wallet. It all goes into my back pocket.

I carry a messenger bag for class...and other times if I need. But I really don't carry enough to justify carrying a bag.

I totally would though. I'm secure in my sexuality! :O

Reaction score
I have about $300 dollars in my wallet that I NEED to deposit soon before I learn the hard way.

But generally $20 with the cards an all

k3s

Reaction score
I carry my money in wallet. I have some id's and misc stuff i need to carry. Normally i don't have more than 50 dollars unless i need more to buy something at the store which i know the price of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I use a wallet and carry about $30 dollars in the main pocket and then about $20 in another pocket for emergencies. But I usually just use my CC for most transactions because I can keep track of my spending easier. Other than that: school I.D., Drivers License, Auto Zone card, and gym card. Keep it all in the front pocket because of pick pocketers!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I keep at least $100.00 in emergency cash in my wallet along with my debit/credit cards. I usually keep my wallet somewhere other than my back pocket just in case of pick pockets but that is not a big problem around here. Car jacking and mugging is though, so I carry a .45 caliber Glock 21 on me at all times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I keep at least $100.00 in emergency cash in my wallet along with my debit/credit cards. I usually keep my wallet somewhere other than my back pocket just in case of pick pockets but that is not a big problem around here. Car jacking and mugging is though, so I carry a .45 caliber Glock 21 on me at all times.

If I ever see you just give me FRIENDLY reminder to be nice ok? ;) Thanks!
-Connor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
If I ever see you just give me FRIENDLY reminder to be nice ok? ;) Thanks!
-Connor

Lol, sure thing. I'm a police officer so carrying a gun isn't a big deal to me. I'm also 6'2" 220Lbs so hopefully I will never need the Glock but its nice to know it is there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
O... alright. That makes me feel better, shoulda added that detail in there sooner! I mean... its unbelievable just THINKING someone without a badge could be walking the streets with a gun. /endsarcasm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
O... alright. That makes me feel better, shoulda added that detail in there sooner! I mean... its unbelievable just THINKING someone without a badge could be walking the streets with a gun. /endsarcasm

/off topic It is actually legal in Mississippi for anyone to carry a gun pretty much any where except banks and schools unless it is posted on the business no firearms allowed. Of course this does not apply to convicted felons and anyone convicted of domestic violence because obviously it is illegal for them to even pick up a gun. It is also legal to use deadly force if you see somebreaking into your car or any other personal property. /off topic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most of that is true here too... except legal to use deadly force on just a robber. I was just being sarcastic oblivious to the fact of conceal and carry. I agree with it... its good. Criminals will get guns anyway, so why not let the good guys have guns :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.