CAPSLOCK INDICATOR ICON

Reaction score
HAPPY HOLIDAYS-
Is the a way to turn off the caps lock indicator icon and not lose caps lock. It is so annoying and gets in the way when typing . I use caps lock a lot. easier to read.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1
iMac 27" 2019
16 gig ram
thx

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I disable the caps lock on all of my Macs to prevent me to getting into that mode unless I wish it. I am perfectly fine using the shift button to cap whatever needs to be capped.

However, if your flow requires the caps lock button, then try the response here that might work to turn off the icon. I have not validated that this works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Mine come on under the typing:

1703611274381.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I imagine it follows the cursor, so technically it would be totally out of your way but if you're just reading some text with the static cursor, it might hide the row of text right underneath the cursor.

This does seem like it's in your face more than it needs to be. What was wrong with the little light on the caps lock button that warranted this icon on the screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I imagine it follows the cursor, so technically it would be totally out of your way but if you're just reading some text with the static cursor, it might hide the row of text right underneath the cursor.

This does seem like it's in your face more than it needs to be. What was wrong with the little light on the caps lock button that warranted this icon on the screen?
Though not an issue for me, my keyboard does not have a caps lock light, hence the osd.

OP
E
Reaction score
For me it's an irritation . interfering with reading what's typed. and as RazOrEdge says its gets right in your face. 4 hours on numbers with that bobbing around and pc is starting to look good
but by sound of the forum here apple hasn't included and off switch for it.
Clicking on it to turn it off also turns off caplock . i haven't tried the terminal solution a slip and it might be very terminal. but i copied the code to stickies. Just need to get nerve to do it.
Happy new year all

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For me it's an irritation . interfering with reading what's typed. and as RazOrEdge says its gets right in your face. 4 hours on numbers with that bobbing around and pc is starting to look good
but by sound of the forum here apple hasn't included and off switch for it.
Clicking on it to turn it off also turns off caplock . i haven't tried the terminal solution a slip and it might be very terminal. but i copied the code to stickies. Just need to get nerve to do it.
Happy new year all
Well the other thing is to only have caps lock on when you're typing, if you're just reading, keep it off.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you click on the Caps Lock indicator it will turn off, THE NEXT TIME YOU PRESS THE CAPS LOCK KEY it will remain off.
Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 10.29.03 am.png
Obviously this is not a fix, it still comes back on when you get to another lot of text you want to capitalise. Mostly I just use the Shift key so I don't find this "feature" a nuisance.

I did find this solution in Apple Community;

[IMG alt="yochees"]https://discussions.apple.com/public/assets/avatars/SYSTEM_DEFAULT_AVATAR_EN_8999.png[/IMG]
yochees
User level:Level 1

31 points
Posted on Oct 11, 2023 6:08 AM
Found a solution. In Terminal:

sudo mkdir -p /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add 'redesigned_text_cursor:Enabled' bool false" /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist

Then reboot. After reboot - problem solved.

IF you're comfortable with the Terminal command line. I suggest doing a full System backup before attempting to change System Settings via Terminal.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.