Can't upload the latest update for iPhone 7 -- says startup disk full

Reaction score
Hello. . Got my mother's iPhone 7 last Friday the 22nd, and tried to download/install the latest update. But it stopped, saying my startup disk was full. Did an update last week with no problem, no message.

Can someone give some advice and help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
My wife's 16GB iPhone 7 had that issue, even after she deleted everything she could. She ended up using iTunes to install the update, which requires the phone to be connected via USB to the PC running iTunes.

OP
S
Reaction score
It's hooked up to the computer through iTunes -- that's where the message is coming from.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hello. . Got my mother's iPhone 7 last Friday the 22nd, and tried to download/install the latest update. But it stopped, saying my startup disk was full. Did an update last week with no problem, no message.

Can someone give some advice and help?

It's referring to the startup disk on your Mac, not the iPhone 7. The update is first downloaded to your Mac before it is then applied to the phone.

Try updating over the air instead. Just make sure you have a good WiFi connection and the phone is fully charged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.