Can't save new Word Quick Style Sets in Yosemite?

Reaction score
I've been having a problem saving new quick style sets in Microsoft Word for Mac 2011 that seems to have started around the time I updated to Yosemite. I'm a heavy user of Word's advanced editing and formatting features, and not being able to save new quick style sets has been slowing me down for a couple of months now.

The problem seems to be that write access to the user quick style sets folder seems to have somehow been blocked. In the past when I clicked on the Quick Style Set icon in the Word menu and selected 'Save as Quick Style Set' the correct folder path (/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Style Sets) opened by default and I was able to save the set. Now when I do the same thing it opens to /Users/username and even with system files showing I'm not able to see the Library folder to open and follow the required path. This also prevents me from modifying my existing custom Quick Style Sets, as the process for saving changes to them is essentially the same.

Here are links to a couple of screenshots, though there's nothing much interesting to display:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hgv30y7x9393tu/Screenshot%202015-01-16%2019.08.24.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/worxxeehr8w6zr1/Screenshot%202015-01-16%2019.09.47.png?dl=0

I've hunted for any information about new save processes or changed file paths and have come up with nothing. I am still able to use the existing custom quick style sets I created before the problem started, just not able to modify them. I have checked and they are still stored in the same location. I'm tearing my hair out. Please help!

I'm working on a late 2012 13 inch Macbook Pro Retina.

M

MacInWin

Could it be that ~/Library is hidden in Yosemite, and even if you had it unhidden before, the installation of Yosemite would have re-hidden it. If you can't see it in Finder, then open terminal and copy this line to it.
/usr/bin/chflags nohidden ~/Library
That should unhide the Library, which may let your save execute. If you want more information, search for "unhide library OS X" and you'll get lots of information.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks Jake, I hadn't thought of running the command again as I was still able to see and navigate to the correct folder through Finder, just not when trying to perform the save from within Word. Awesomely, running it again seems to have resolved the problem. Thanks again!

Edit: Bizarrely I can't see existing saved Quick Style Sets when I do the save, but at least I can check that I'm not accidentally giving something the same name through finder. There's definitely something buggy going on, but at least this is a usable workaround.

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

That's weird. At this point all I can suggest is to open Disk Utility or Onyx and run a Permissions Repair. Kind of a longshot but may work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.