Cant record built in audio

Reaction score
For some reason I cant record my built in audio (the sound coming from my computer) on any program. I cant do it in Garageband or Quicktime player. Basically I'm just trying to record audio thats coming from my computer but I can't. I used to be able to do it but now I can't. Anybody know a reason? I tried restarting but it didnt work.

It may be because I'm using a laptop but it is closed. I have an external monitor plugged into it while the laptop is closed. I don't think I have ever tried it while it was like this so it may be the problem.

Let me know if you know a solution.

Similar to this problem http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/music-audio-podcasting/165820-cant-record-streaming-audio.html but there was no solution there.

EDIT:
When I go to System Preferences/sound/input and click on LINE IN there is no input level while the computer is playing sound.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
G
Reaction score
Nope nothing plugged in except for keyboard and mouse. I do have a USB port HUB plugged in but i doubt thats that problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's not exactly what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. The Input Level controls won't show any activity unless there is something plugged into the Line In port. It is not doing anything because as far as the computer is concerned there is no activity on that port (nothing is connected).

If you are doing short recordings Audio Hijack Pro may not 'watermark" the sound.

You might also try this method using a minijack (headphone)cable. You will have to be careful though when setting the audio levels or you will create a feedback loop. macosx.com - View Single Post - Recording with the Line-Out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
EDIT: When I go to System Preferences/sound/input and click on LINE IN there is no input level while the computer is playing sound.

Same here, because there's nothing plugged into Line In. As advised by Slydude, Line In can only receive audio from an external source.

But back to your original post - you can't record sound being played via your computer. Give us an example of what you're trying to do, eg. record a radio programme, record from a YouTube video, etc. I've ditched G'Band so can't try to replicate what you're doing.

I use WireTap, a brilliantly simple application, not free, but it records anything going through your Mac's sound system. WireTap Studio | Ambrosia Software, Inc.

OP
G
Reaction score
But i've done it before. I'm not really sure how, but I did. Oh well I'll just download one of those programs and try it out. I'm trying to record audio from a You Tube video. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm not sure how you are doing it, but, if I have a track on you tube that I want to put down on a garageband track for instance, I plug my output into my input.
Have you tried this and does it not work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
You can't record your Mac's internal audio because that's they way they build them now. It has something to do with a lawsuit or legal settlement that happened several years back. Music industry anti piracy stuff. It used to be that your could 'record what you hear' using OEM applications. But not now. However, there are third party applications that allow you to do just that. I use Wire Tap Studio, and it works like a charm. Anything I can hear, I can record.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.