can't print from G4 PB

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my G4 PB to Snow Leopard and connected an HP 1310 printer via USB cable.

I can access all functions such as ink level, test, etc., but get an error "some software is missing". when I try to print a document.

I've loaded the latest HP driver for 10.6.8 and repaired disk permission.

I can print to the 1310 from three other Macs in my house, all Intel machines.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recently upgraded my G4 PB to Snow Leopard…

Not possible. Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) will not run on a Powerbook G4. Maybe you upgraded it to 10.5 (Leopard)…but not 10.6. Or if the computer is running 10.6…then this computer is not a Powerbook G4.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Gulp.
You are correct. It is 10.5.

Ok no problem…just wanted to understand the situation better.:)

This printer in question…is it a WiFi (wireless) printer? If so…are all the Intel Mac's (three) printer to it wirelessly?

You mentioned that the Powerbook G4 is connected via USB cable. Are you connected to the printer via USB cable for a reason (Powerbook's WiFi not working…or doesn't have WiFi)?

Of course if this is not a WiFi printer…then the answer to the WiFi questions would mostly be "no".;)

Last questions. Is this a new printer? If so…is it compatible with OS 10.5? If it's a newer printer…10.5 may be too old.

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Still no luck.

I downloaded the appropriate driver. What is the name of this file and where does the file reside on my Mac?

In the dialog box that appears when the print/fax systems pref is opened, if I select the Driver tab and look at the Print Using box, I see the same "generic hp psc 1310 serie" that I did before downloading. I'm given the option of selecting software but don't know where to look for the newly downloaded driver.

Thanks for any help on this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.