Can't open iTunes after 12.1.2 update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP, iPhone 6, iPad4, iPad Mini Retnia, WHS 2011
After installing the latest iTunes update on my 2012 rMBP the app will not open. I see no posts on the Apple Support but did a fresh download from there and installed again. Still will not open

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
After installing the latest iTunes update on my 2012 rMBP the app will not open. I see no posts on the Apple Support but did a fresh download from there and installed again. Still will not open

Hello - I just updated our Macs to 10.10.3 which included the iTunes update - just for starters are you trying to open iTunes from the dock? Can you open the app if you go to Finder -> Applications - assume its icon is present there? If so, then you may have a 'broken' dock alias - delete the current icon from the dock and then drag the iTunes icon from the folder in Finder - if not the issue, then please post back. Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP, iPhone 6, iPad4, iPad Mini Retnia, WHS 2011
Seems that this is a growing problem for some. I found the following and it did resolve the issue.

Download iTunes from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Open the Terminal
Run "sudo rm -r /Applications/iTunes.app"
Re-install iTunes

Reaction score
This fixed it

I also was getting no response from the itunes icon.

I ran the script, and manually downloaded and installed itunes 12.1.2, and it works fine.

I wonder if there is something wrong with the link/script that is running from the app store. Since I ran it manually, it seems to have fixed the problem.

Reaction score
The terminal fix didn't work for me. iTunes is the hub of my productivity. I'm very upset that it hasn't been fixed by now! :Angry:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you mean the terminal fix didn't work for you? Are you getting an error when trying to remove iTunes? Removing it and reinstalling a new copy should fix it.

Reaction score
This is what I got from terminal: -bash: sudo rm -r /Applications/iTunes.app: No such file or directory.
I then trashed the app icon, downloaded iTunes, installed it, and still nothing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Obviously it didn't work by trashing the iTunes icon because that does not remove iTunes. If your iTunes application is in your Applications folder and you're logged on to your own account, the bash script should have worked. It's worked for everyone else and should work for you. The fact that you received that error either means your case was wrong or you didn't enter the command correctly. Terminal bash is case sensitive. Try again and let us know.

Reaction score
still not working for me, but...

I tried again but it didn't work. I did find a sort of fix I think on Apple's forums:

- right click on iTunes icon > Show package contents>contents>Mac OS>iTunes

This opens up iTunes. I can close the terminal and iTunes stays open. However if I close iTunes I have to go through the same process to open it again.

Reaction score
Seems that this is a growing problem for some. I found the following and it did resolve the issue.

Open the Terminal
Re-install iTunes

I am having the same issue - can't get iTunes to open, can't get it to close, force quit won't work.

I tried downloading iTunes and running this exact command in Terminal, and its not working. It is saying:

rm: illegal option -- /
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRvW] file...
unlink file

Is there anything else I can try?

Reaction score
I tried again but it didn't work. I did find a sort of fix I think on Apple's forums:

- right click on iTunes icon > Show package contents>contents>Mac OS>iTunes

This opens up iTunes. I can close the terminal and iTunes stays open. However if I close iTunes I have to go through the same process to open it again.

This worked for me - but somehow opens a separate iTunes window - and I still have another iTunes application "open" (however no window comes up), and wont force quit.

When I quit the iTunes I am able to open through "show package contents" this other iTunes application stays "open".

I cant restart my computer because iTunes is open, and it wont force quit...

HELP!!!

Reaction score
BetaVirus' solution worked for me. Remove old icon from sidebar, download iTunes 12.1.2 from apple and add new icon from finder to sidebar and open. Voila!!

Reaction score

Open the Terminal
Re-install iTunes

I'm having the same problem. iTunes won't open, and I've tried from finder as well. I also redownloaded it and reinstalled it. I'm a lay person, not very tech savvy, and what you said above, I cannot do, because I have no idea what you're talking about. Would you please tell me what to do step-by-step? Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.