Can't install Windows 10 with Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hello!

I've just tried to install Windows 10 on my Macbook with a 32GB USB using Bootcamp. Everything was fine until I came to the part where I need to pick the partition where I want to install my Windows 10 and of course I've picked the Bootcamp partition but actually I couldn't click on "next" (I was so dumb and didn't formate it).
So I just formatted the Bootcamp partition and when I tried to click on "next" it just told me "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one". I went through google and searched everything about this problem and there are a lot of guys having almost the same or exactly the same "error" when trying to install Windows 10 on the Bootcamp partition but nothing actually helped me. I've already removed everything except my USB and someone told me I should only have 4 or less partitions.
It shows me 4 partition but there are two partition (3) and two partition (1).
Is that a problem?
Here's a pic of my diskutil list: https://i.gyazo.com/f554fb8aac609c2420f55f9696fa06a6.png

Since english isn't my native language I'm sorry for my bad spelling.
I hope anyone may help me installing Windows 10 with Bootcamp!

Thanks a lot! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

No pic just brings back this thread.

However if the partition is still there, go into BootCamp Assistant and start it and it will offer to remove the partition. If you tried to remove some other way, such as Disk Utility, you have big problems and may need to erase the entire drive and do a clean install of OS X. Trust you have a current backup?

OP
C
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

No pic just brings back this thread.

However if the partition is still there, go into BootCamp Assistant and start it and it will offer to remove the partition. If you tried to remove some other way, such as Disk Utility, you have big problems and may need to erase the entire drive and do a clean install of OS X. Trust you have a current backup?

I've removed the partition with BC and I'm currently downgrading to El Capitan and I'll also erase my Fusion Drive and use the SSD and HDD separately.

Someone on another Forum told me the problem that I can't install Windows on my Bootcamp partition is the HDD in the Optibay with the BC partition.

What does "Optibay" mean and how to fix that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Someone on another Forum told me the problem that I can't install Windows on my Bootcamp partition is the HDD in the Optibay with the BC partition.

What does "Optibay" mean and how to fix that?

The person in the other forum is correct. The Optibay he referred to is the bay where the optical drive once was. Windows (using Boot Camp) will only instal to the primary hard drive bay. There are work arounds and my understanding is that Windows 10 Pro version can be installed in the optical drive bay or even on an external hard drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
The person in the other forum is correct. The Optibay he referred to is the bay where the optical drive once was. Windows (using Boot Camp) will only instal to the primary hard drive bay. There are work arounds and my understanding is that Windows 10 Pro version can be installed in the optical drive bay or even on an external hard drive.

This Macbook was bought with a 1TB HDD and my dad switched the original optical CD/DVD drive with a 256GB SSD. Shouldn't the HDD be the main bay then?
And how can I actually check it and is there any way to not "open" my Macbook and do the BC Windows installation?

Thanks!

OP
C
Reaction score
This Macbook was bought with a 1TB HDD and my dad switched the original optical CD/DVD drive with a 256GB SSD. Shouldn't the HDD be the main bay then?
And how can I actually check it and is there any way to not "open" my Macbook and do the BC Windows installation?

Thanks!

I've used 50Gb of my SSD for the BC partition to install Windows 10 and everything went fine!
Is it possible to create a Fusion drive with my SSD and HDD now since there's the BC partition with Windows installed?
And do you I need to reinstall my macOS to do this?

Also.. do games perform better with mac version or when installed on the BC partition with Windows?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've used 50Gb of my SSD for the BC partition to install Windows 10 and everything went fine!
Is it possible to create a Fusion drive with my SSD and HDD now since there's the BC partition with Windows installed?
And do you I need to reinstall my macOS to do this?

Also.. do games perform better with mac version or when installed on the BC partition with Windows?

My advice: Don't press your luck. Leave well enough alone and don't mess with fusion drives as they can be troublesome and cause you to lose all your data if you mess up.

And yes, games perform much better in Windows than they do in Mac OS X. Even those games designed for OS X do not perform as well as their Windows counterparts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.