Cant get Time Machine to fully restore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
My MBP 2013 has a Seagate Hybrid SSD 1 tb ,not that old only November of 2013.
Yesterday the MBP won't boot, gives a grey screen with s stop sign or a folder with a question mark.
I have it backed up on a 2 tb Time Capsule connected over wifi only.
After hitting Command R during boot up, selecting the wifi, entering the PW for the network and the TC PW selecting my most recent back up and telling it to restore...
2 time I've gone through this process..
Each time the restore process won't finish..
This isn't my first rodeo with TM, I've done it in the past with other computers with this Time Capsule.
Im going to try again and select a slightly older back up..
Does this mean the HSSD is done? Any advice?
thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some Hybrid SSDs have been problematic as reported by some of our forum users. If TM dies again before finishing the restore, see if you can spot something in the logs that might give a clue as to what happened. I personally keep both a TM and CCC backup current in the event one or the other decides to quit on me.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
To add to the symptoms... I attempted to repair permissions and verify/repair disc.. rather than go straight into the restore process.
"Error Disk utility cannot repair this disk... disk, and restore your backed up files."

Where will i be able to view logs?

At the end of an unsuccessful TC restore The message that appears is just a blurb about it being unable to complete the process.. no numbers or identifying items.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like there's a problem with the Hybrid SSD drive if Disk Utility says it can't repair it. You might be looking at replacing that drive. Hold on to your TM backup, you're going to need it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a good price. Don't forget to also buy the adapter for $2.99 - since that's a 7 mm drive you'll need an adapter. Normal drive for your machine is 9.5 mm thick.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
--I got the new SSD in the mail and took the old one out and tried to get the TM to show up and install it in the SSD..
--Go through the process and I get the same errors on the new SSD.
--First, I wasn't able to select it-New SSD- during the instal process-there weren't any drives to put my TC back up onto since i took the old one out. My firs thought was that I didn't plug it al the way into the data connector.
--So I go to disk utility under recovery mode. And I can see the disk
--Select the disk, and format it since maybe that had to happen first.. it will format and get the new name i give it after 'erasing' it and making it Mac OS Journeled.
--Then it will successfully verify disk permissions and say things like the partition map is good.
--Then I will select the Name that i gave the SSD, the only partition that was made.
--When i select that it will not correctly Verify Disk or Repair Disk.
For Verify it makes it to Checking extends overflow file.. then it says in red
"The volume "SSD" could not be verified completely. Error this disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk."
After hitting repair disk it says also in Red
"Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk.. disk, and restore your backed up files."

I tried a PRAM reset, that allowed the drive to be selectable under the back up process.
After the PRAM it allows me to start the back up process, but it says... "An error occurred while adding a recovery system to the destination disk. Restart your computer and then try again."

Even rather than starting a fresh instal of Mountain Lion I am unable to select the SSd as a instal option.

I am guessing the SSD is a DOA
It will probably be mailed out for returns in a little bit

What do you all think

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I think you need to log on to OWC's chat line immediately and go through it with them. ANy problems they will replace.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Already have the Return code they were helpful.
Just wanted somebody to say yes. The drive is a dud. Quit slamming your head into a brick wall.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
BIG UPDATE!!!!.
Few weeks ago i found a 2.5in drive to usb cable.. forgot i had it.. and i thought i would test all the drives above that I had (the stock 500gb and the 1TB hSSD that was a dud) Turns out they worked fine plugged in peripherally to our newer rMBP.
So i got in ifixit and ordered the hard drive cable.. along with some tools.. and one slow night shift in the hospital later.. and I am typing on the laptop that i wanted to fix at the beginning of this thread.!

It has the stock 500gb in since i reformatted the hSSD assuming it was the problem..

I guess the cable was the reason it would not boot from any TM back up.. or instal a fresh OS on any new drive installed.

Im so pumped.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice job. In this case persistence pays off.

That issue can also occur if the cable disconnects from the board slightly during a repair/swap even if ti is not loose enough to be visible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.