Can't find internal SSD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
I'm up to me neck in it just lately. I have a new 1TB SSD that was fitted by a repair man with High Sierra. It's been going OK but today I booted up from the external spinner drive with Sierra installed via startup disc. I used an app that I can't get to work on the new drive, but when I went to reboot from the internal SSD, it wasn't there either in startup disc or disc utilities. I tried several times and ended up shutting down and then disconnected the external and hoped to start from there. No such luck; I got the start up sound and then nothing but a flashing question mark which I know means it can't find a drive. I've plugged the external drive back in and it's started up, but still not showing anything but the external drive in startup disc. I'm wondering if this has anything to do, either with an apple security update I put on this morning or that the new SSD internal will only show up on High Sierra.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
I've found a part solution, although it's pretty much Heath Robinson. I must have been right that the new internal SSD wouldn't recognise Sierra I plugged the CCC backup from Sierra back in and started it. Once it was up and running I plugged in the CCC backup that I did a couple of days ago with High Sierra. I went to startup disc and there it was. I started from that and then chose the internal SSD from startup disc and it's now back to normal... whatever that is.
Anyway, I'm sure that some of you people have got a much better way of getting around this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I booted up from the external spinner drive with Sierra installed via startup disc
Not sure what you mean by that, but if you changed the default startup disk to boot Sierra, that's probably why it didn't see the internal. The internal is probably formatted APFS, which Sierra does not recognize. The way to temporarily boot from an external drive is to hold down Option immediately after powering on and hold it until boot options appear on the screen. That way the default stays with the internal.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good thought, Jake. I missed that possibility the first time I read this thread.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know what I'd do without you people, that worked perfectly. Thanks. One more question: I've got another external drive coming, a 1TB SSD this time and I'd like to get all the stuff from the external spinner drive mentioned above on to the new one. Is there a way I can transfer this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If I remember correctly, you have Carbon Copy Cloner. That will do that for you quite nicely. Make the spinner the source and the new drive the target. You'll have to format the new one with the same format as the spinner, but once done, CCC will do nicely.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why didn't I think of that. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.