Can't find device in finder

Reaction score
I have a western digital "essentials" driver that I used to see in finder. I attempted to drag and drop a copy of in the middle panel (don't ask why) and it disappeared after showing a symbol that looks like an explosion. It has now become invisible. How can I return the drive to the directory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a western digital "essentials" driver that I used to see in finder. I attempted to drag and drop a copy of in the middle panel (don't ask why) and it disappeared after showing a symbol that looks like an explosion. It has now become invisible. How can I return the drive to the directory?

Hi Mark - welcome to the forum! :)

Your post makes little sense to me at the moment - my assumption is that you have an external WD HD (hard drive) that use to mount in Finder but you no longer see it - correct?

If so, please provide: 1) Model/year of your Apple computer; 2) OS X installed; 3) Method of attachment to your computer - assume USB; 4) What software changes have you made recently, e.g. upgrade to a new OS X; if so, which one; and 5) What have you done to resolve this issue (e.g. have you plugged the drive into another USB port or into another computer) - answers to these questions will help us understand and possibly help. Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Isn't the western digital "essentials", besides being a model name for some of their drives, the name of their software used by and for Windows users???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.