Can't expand my current partition

Reaction score
It's well known that with the Disk Utility you can resize and create new partitions.
I was trying to expand my current partition (the Macintosh HD default disk) because I have a lot o free space.
The thing is that when i try to do it from de Disk Utility it shows me an error something like this:

" It has been unable to modify the partition's map due to a verification's error of the file's system."

Any ideas?? Thanks so much.

Attached is the screen shot (in spanish) of the error i got.

Captura de pantalla 2014-09-25 a la(s) 17.08.26.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You've got some file corruption, therefore, Disk Utility will refuse to do any partition work. Use Disk Utility to verify and repair your hard drive first. Note: You can not repair the hard drive while it's mounted. You didn't mention which version of OS X you're running so we can't advise on how to proceed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey, @chscag! Thanks for the quick reply!
I've tried to verify and fix the disk and it says that it needs to be repaired (as you said) . It says that it has "Incorrect number of hard links of the file".

My OS X is 10.9.5 Mavericks in a 2011 Macbook Pro.

I'm not sure how to unmount the the hard drive, i'm kind of nooby at this..

Attached is the message that Disk Utility showed when i tried to repair the Macintosh HD.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Here's how you do it:

Restart your MacBook Pro while holding down the command and r keys at the same time as soon as you hear the Bong! sound. That will get you into "recovery". From recovery, select "Utilities" and then select "Disk Utility". Highlight your hard drive on the left side (where it shows the size of the drive) and then select "Verify" from the right side. Keep repeating the process until all errors are repaired. After that, you should be able to use Disk Utility (from recovery again) to expand the partition.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey again!
I managed to do everything you told me. I could repair the HD with the Disk Utility from the Recovery Mode.

Then, I tried to resize my HD, but a new error appeared. This time it said something like:

"Unable to resize partition: Disk couldn't be unmounted"

What can I do now?
Thanks for all the help, bro!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try to expand the partition from Recovery? That's the only way you can do it otherwise the hard drive will remain mounted. Let us know.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, just after I repaired the HD in Recovery I clicked the partition tab and tried to drag the partition to the size I wanted. The process started, but after a couple of minutes the message was shown.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that means there is another problem with that hard drive. The first thing to do now is make sure you backup all your data before doing anything else.

Next, go back into Recovery and Disk Utility. Click on the unused space and see if it allows you to format it. If it does, format it as Mac OS Extended Journaled. Then try again to expand the partition.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try to format it after I do the backup and I'll come back here to tell you my progress.

Maybe this is a very stupid question, but how do you backup your data so when I restore my data in the new formatted disk, i can see everything just as I see it just now?

What I mean is; is there an specific method for backup that can make my new disk look just like the previous one?

Thanks again, you've been of great help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Boot into your normal system. Verify your your hard drive with Disk Utility. If it verifies okay, try resizing your partition from there (while booted into your normal system).

Reaction score
Wont work!!!

Let me explain if you partitioned your hard drive for lets say windows or linux and you removed the linux distro or the windows version off of that partition sometimes left overs are present on the partition and usually you have to format and start again because the partition on that drive can no longer be resized this also happens when the computer if firmware locked to a certain disk size and if you exceed that size and or it causes mac os x to become invalid it also won't let you resize

Reaction score
From the graphic above, it looks to me like there's room to grow the partition and it may work as I have stated.

@Mancho
No matter how you proceed, it is probably a very good idea to first have a backup of your system using tools as mention by chscag.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks everyone guys! After I repaired my disk from the recovery mode, I tried to expand my partition from the normal Boot as @ron4mac said and it worked perfectly! Now I can freely resize and create other partitions!

You were of a great help @ron4mac and @chscag ! Is there any upvote option in this page?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Use the reputation system. Scroll to a post that was helpful and scroll over the icons in the right hand corner of the post. One of them basically says Add to Reputation. Click the icon and follow the directions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.