Can't change permissions on internal hard drive

Brave Watson

Reaction score
My hard drive, running Ventura 3.1, has permissions set as: system-read & write. everyone-read only. When I go to change the "everyone" to Read & Write, which I have to unlock the lock with the system password, I get the response "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission."

Where would I have to go to change that? I am the Admin of the computer.

Possibly related...when I take a screenshot, then go to save it on an external hard drive, I get the message "Your screenshot can't be saved. Cannot write file to intended destination." If I check the "get info" of that hard drive it says I have read and write permission.

This whole permissions thing seems to follow no logic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I had the same problem and posted on here, basically the "system" is locked under Ventura:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
My hard drive, running Ventura 3.1, has permissions set as: system-read & write. everyone-read only. When I go to change the "everyone" to Read & Write, which I have to unlock the lock with the system password, I get the response "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission."

Where would I have to go to change that? I am the Admin of the computer.

Possibly related...when I take a screenshot, then go to save it on an external hard drive, I get the message "Your screenshot can't be saved. Cannot write file to intended destination." If I check the "get info" of that hard drive it says I have read and write permission.

This whole permissions thing seems to follow no logic.
A bit of background for you about the format of your drive:

Ventura (I presume you meant version 13.1, not 3.1) formats the drive with APFS, a proprietary format from Apple. On the device it creates "Containers" which hold "Volumes." One Volume is default named "Macintosh HD" and the second visible Container is "Macintosh HD - Data." The first Volume is where the System files are stored, and cannot be changed by the user. The second, with "Data" is the User volume, and is where all user data is stored. You have a folder in the /User folder there which contains all of YOUR files. In that folder, and that folder alone, you have authority to change permissions. Not at the drive level, not on the System Volume and not for the full Data volume. Just YOUR folder in /Users.

As for the external drive issue, how is it formatted and what else is on it?

The logic of permissions is that the only the account owner can read and write to the account's files and folders. The System is the owner of all System files, you own what is in your individual folder in /Users. If there are other users, you cannot write to them. This is all part of the security of the underlying operating system behind macOS.

Cur

Reaction score
Although I am not understanding well this discussion I have a similar problem (maybe the same.)

I have a MBA running Ventura 13.1. If I send an email with a Word or Excel attachment, that attachment opens with a "Read Only" notice stating that a duplicate has to be made to do anything with it.

I would appreciate a step by step procedure that would remove this restriction from all my email attachments.

Thanks!

Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You cannot. The flags that make it read-only are set by Word for the receiver, not the sender. For them to make a change, they have to copy the file and then edit it, but then it's a new file (to them). The setting of read-only is done by Word/Excel, not Ventura.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
M$ wants everyone to collaborate within their ecosystem, just like .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M$ wants everyone to collaborate within their ecosystem, just like .
While that may be true, I think the reason for the "read-only" status is that if a Word/Excel document is sent from one user to another, and the receiver wants to deceive someone into thinking it came from original sender but with changes the deceiver made, the process of having to duplicate it to get out of read-only will disclose that the new document is no longer the original. It's weak, and can be bypassed, but it's something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini-16Gmem,AcesryKit,Gigbit Ethrnt,256G SSDstorg,Apl M1chip w/8‑coreCPU,8‑coreGPU,16coreNurlEngn
i have a mac-mini with macOS Monterey 12.5.3.
i don't know what Ventura is, except where i raised my children for 26 years:laughjester
screenshots say, "cannot write file to intended destination". I mess with things sometimes that makes things not work:wasntme
i have a bunch of folders in MY user, but none that says, "my folder". If i could take a screenshot to show you, i would!:laugh (actually i'm really mad at myself for messing this up. I take a LOT of SCs😠)
please help🙏

Hi MacInWin!! Good to see you again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
i have a mac-mini with macOS Monterey 12.5.3.
i don't know what Ventura is, except where i raised my children for 26 years:laughjester
screenshots say, "cannot write file to intended destination". I mess with things sometimes that makes things not work:wasntme
i have a bunch of folders in MY user, but none that says, "my folder". If i could take a screenshot to show you, i would!:laugh (actually i'm really mad at myself for messing this up. I take a LOT of SCs😠)
please help🙏

Hi MacInWin!! Good to see you again!
Screen shot Cmd/Shift/4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini-16Gmem,AcesryKit,Gigbit Ethrnt,256G SSDstorg,Apl M1chip w/8‑coreCPU,8‑coreGPU,16coreNurlEngn
Screen shot Cmd/Shift/4
thank you Jimmy! I know how to do it, but the computer won't let me do it and I get the message in my post now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The default location for screenshots should be the Desktop. If you have somehow changed that, the way to fix it is to go to the Utilities folder and click on "Screenshot" to launch the app. There will be a bar below the area being saved, with "Options" as one item. Click there and change the "Save to" from whatever it is to Desktop and it should work. You can then leave Screenshot by pressing the esc key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The default location for screenshots should be the Desktop. If you have somehow changed that, the way to fix it is to go to the Utilities folder and click on "Screenshot" to launch the app. There will be a bar below the area being saved, with "Options" as one item. Click there and change the "Save to" from whatever it is to Desktop and it should work. You can then leave Screenshot by pressing the esc key.
YIPEE!!!!! LOVE YOU JAKE:loveit

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 9.31.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 9.31.38 AM.png
    150.1 KB · Views: 4

JGriff916

Reaction score
In that folder, and that folder alone, you have authority to change permissions. Not at the drive level, not on the System Volume and not for the full Data volume. Just YOUR folder in /Users.
Being as I own this computer, I believe I own all the files on it. I understand that others may believe otherwise. However, this permissions scheme is preventing me from using this computer in the manner to which I am accustomed and desire to.

Is there nothing to be done for this?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide.

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being as I own this computer, I believe I own all the files on it. I understand that others may believe otherwise. However, this permissions scheme is preventing me from using this computer in the manner to which I am accustomed and desire to.

Is there nothing to be done for this?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide.

John
Welcome to the forum.

Actually, I think the EULA says you don't "own" the files of the operating system, you are licensed to use them. But we won't argue semantics because it's not really useful to do so. If you are really curious, Randy is a lawyer and can get into the legalities of it.

The idea of permissions is to provide security in a multi-user operating system like macOS. One user cannot change another user's files and no user can change the overall system files. That security prevents any one user from being able to take over the machiine for any malicious purpose. As such, it is integral to the entire OS, and is not subject to user intervention.

What is it that you want to do that permissions is preventing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Being as I own this computer, I believe I own all the files on it.
Yes, you do own all the files (data) you created. If you didn't create the data (files), it's (they're) not your property.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes, you do own all the files (data) you created. If you didn't create the data (files), it's (they're) not your property.

Right on, and I believe this also comes under the category of Copyright Law and the Apple Software License Agreement(s) and others you agreed to.

For anything else, I think one should probably get hold of some good legal device.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.