Can't boot off CD

Reaction score
A friend of mine installed Ubuntu on his iMac G4. We've since found that there is very little software support on it. I managed to burn a copy of OS X Tiger and installed it on my iBook G4. When all excited about finally getting Tiger back on this thing, we held down the C key in order to boot off DVD... and it didn't. I have reset the pram, nvram, pmu, open firmware, tried booting the DVD from open firmware, tried to CD from the linux installed boot loader, holding down the option key and selecting the CD from there all to no avail.

Help! Please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well the DVD you copied MUST BE a full retail install version and not a model specific copy which comes with new computers.

OP
J
Reaction score
It's not, it was completely unspecific, I got it off of a bit torrent. I have ran ones that werent supposed to be run on it before and it actually booted and came up with an error message in the installer. I suspect that it has something to do with the linux install but I can't tell for sure, this is also the first DVD that I've tried running on here. I did however make sure that it was a dvd-rom drive by sticking a dvd movie in there so I know that that's not the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Purchase a copy of Tiger.

Reaction score
To verify whether the DVD is bootable, attempt to select it as the Startup Disk in System Preferences.

OP
J
Reaction score
To verify whether the DVD is bootable, attempt to select it as the Startup Disk in System Preferences.

I already installed using the same DVD on my iBook and this machine was also previously running linux so that isn't something that I'm able to do. What I plan on doing tomorrow is putting the iMac into target disk mode and installing it from my iBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.