Can't boot into osx after windows7 failed while installing.

Reaction score
Hi,
While installing windows7 on my old imac early 2008. It shows error ' unable to find driver '
I shut down my imac and it osx doesnt start .
It always start with windows setup wizard . I cant eject the disc!
I tried pressing "Option " when starting imac but unfortunately it only shows " windows setup ems enable " .
I want my osx .
Need help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

First, try to eject the disk by rebooting and holding down your mouse button at the same time. Once the disk ejects you can start trouble shooting your problem by booting the machine with your original install disk and running Disk Utility from it. What you might have done was overwrote your OS X partition with the Windows 7 installation. That's a common error than can occur. Did you make a backup before trying to install Windows 7?

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi,

Im using the normal wire mouse, not the original bluetooth touchpad mouse. Disc is not ejecting by holding left /right mouse while pc start. I have the original bluetooth keyboard, I can't eject with the eject butom on keyboard while pc start.

I have not make any backup.

Need help.

OP
R
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

First, try to eject the disk by rebooting and holding down your mouse button at the same time. Once the disk ejects you can start trouble shooting your problem by booting the machine with your original install disk and running Disk Utility from it. What you might have done was overwrote your OS X partition with the Windows 7 installation. That's a common error than can occur. Did you make a backup before trying to install Windows 7?

I eject the disk by pressing left+right mouse.

Now when i turn it on it says ' NO BOOTABLE DEVICE--INSERT BOOT DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY'

I press 'option' key on keyboard while turning on , it doesn't shows any option. just asking to insert boot disk.

help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Did you make a backup before trying to install windows 7 ? ( See Chscag's post )
Do you have the original install disks that came with the machine ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
R
Reaction score
No, I didn't make any backup.
Any solution to get back into the old osx , I don't need windows now.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
No, I didn't make any backup.
Any solution to get back into the old osx , I don't need windows now.
Thanks.

You didn't answer the 2nd question..... do you have the original install disks that came with the computer ?
Or do you have the retail disk for the version that shipped with your computer ?
Now that I look at it ... what version of OS X were you actually running when you tried to install windows ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest you have deleted the OS X partition whilst attempting to format the BootCamp partition. Very easy to do and have done it personally twice when setting up BootCamp and found it easier if you MUST have Windows, buy say a cheap Dell Latitude notebook.

Windows 7 will only install with BootCamp version 4 or 5.1 and later operating systems are using version 6. To recover you may have to erase and format the hard drive, re-install OS X and start all over again hence the question about an external drive with the system backed up. If you had that you could simply connect the external drive, boot from it, erase the internal drive and clone everything over.

OP
R
Reaction score
This ' osx utilities'comes up.
I dont have time machine backup.
When I click disk utility , it shows like this.
2vlmfeb.jpg

Help!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you are in Disk Utility at the same screens you're showing what did you see if you click on the disk marked "untitled"? Can you post that screenshot?

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks all, its done after online reinstalled mac osx , it takes me 6 hours to complete.
Now there's two partition. Bootcamp takes 89gb . I want to merger it into single drive to make 250 gb single partition. How to do it?.

Regard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
1. Backup all files on all partitions
2. Partition the disk as you like
3. Format the partition(s)
4. Install OS
5 . Restore from backup

Cheers ... McBie

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Guys who have more experience with BootCamp may have a better idea but I'd try using the BootCamp Setup Assistant first. That's generally the best way to remove a BootCamp partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Sly suggests, open BootCamp Assistant in Utilities and proceed until you get to the uninstall page and remove it. Then, if it has not returned the drive into a single partition, go into Disk Utility and make a single partition.

Did you read my post of the impossibility of installing Windows 7 on BootCamp 6 or 6.1 which is the version in El Cpitan?

OP
R
Reaction score
As Sly suggests, open BootCamp Assistant in Utilities and proceed until you get to the uninstall page and remove it. Then, if it has not returned the drive into a single partition, go into Disk Utility and make a single partition.

Did you read my post of the impossibility of installing Windows 7 on BootCamp 6 or 6.1 which is the version in El Cpitan?
thanks , after removing windows on bootcamp , everything normal.
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks , but the simple method is by opening bootcamp assistance and uninstall windows .
1. Backup all files on all partitions
2. Partition the disk as you like
3. Format the partition(s)
4. Install OS
5 . Restore from backup

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.