Canon MF212w Printer "The printer is offline" Error

Reaction score
I have lost the ability to print wirelessly. I can still print using a USB cable. My MBP is not recognizing the printer. The printer is flashing an error light that looks like an antenna. I think this is what you call a Wireless LAN issue, but I am really a little lost here.

I downloaded and reinstalled the printer driver from the Canon site. Didn't help. Not sure what terms to use in a google search.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I downloaded and reinstalled the printer driver from the Canon site. Didn't help. Not sure what terms to use in a google search.

Any thoughts?

Try using the subject line you used for this post and you should get some hits like this:

I would suggest that you are going to have to look into the cause of the flashing error light to get that printer working again.

I'm sorry I do not have any idea what it might be.

Maybe have a look at some of the hits here:

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, Patrick. I admire your googling skills. One of your links says that my flashing light "lights up when machine is connected to wireless LAN." I'll have to figure out if that means a steady light and not a flashing light.

More to do.

Reaction score
My MBP is not recognizing the printer.

Usually such a problem can be fixed by resetting your print software:

Go to: System Preferences --> Printers & Scanners
Right click (or Control click) in the printer list (on the left)
Choose the Reset command.
All printer queues will instantly be reset.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac...tem-mac-solve-a-problem-mh14001/12.0/mac/12.0

I suggest then shutting down your Mac, turning off your printer,
restarting your Mac, and when fully running, with your printer plugged into your Mac's
USB port, turn on your printer. It should set itself up automatically.

If that doesn't work, here are some other things to try:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203343

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
The printer is not recognizing the router (AirportExtreme). It might have some thing to do with the fact that I recently changed the password on AirportExtreme (?). I found the printer owner's manual. Does AirportExtreme have a "button"?

Attachments

• Canon.jpg
    Canon.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The printer is not recognizing the router

Have you tried Randy's suggestion of resetting your printer system???

Then start the setup procedure from the beginning.

Maybe shut down and reboot everything after resetting the printer system.

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
Have you tried Randy's suggestion of resetting your printer system???

Then start the setup procedure from the beginning.

Maybe shut down and reboot everything after resetting the printer system.

- Patrick
=======

Yes, I tried it. The MBP isn't seeing the printer. Therefore, I cannot Add it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You changed the network password so the printer isn't connected to the network anymore. Follow the printer directions on how to connect wirelessly again. Once the printer is connected to the network, the Mac should find it there.

OP
M
Reaction score
You changed the network password so the printer isn't connected to the network anymore. Follow the printer directions on how to connect wirelessly again. Once the printer is connected to the network, the Mac should find it there.

Agreed.

If I understand correctly, the printer connects by Wireless LAN to the AirportExtreme. Then, the MBP finds it through the AirportExtreme. Is that right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I understand correctly, the printer connects by Wireless LAN to the AirportExtreme. Then, the MBP finds it through the AirportExtreme. Is that right?
For you, yes. Technically, both the Mac and the printer attach to the network hosted but the AE, then find each other through the network. But your description is OK, sort of.

It's like being invited to a party. Two folks are invited, meet each other and strike up a friendship. The host didn't actually introduce the two directly, but made it possible for them to meet by hosting the party. The AE hosts the network, the two devices join and then find one another.

OP
M
Reaction score
I like parties. :)

Now I have to figure out how to set up the Wireless LAN. That page that I posted above is not really helping me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like parties. :)

Now I have to figure out how to set up the Wireless LAN. That page that I posted above is not really helping me.
The AE already has the LAN set up for you. You just need to connect the printer to it. Then the Mac will see it and connect. Your image has the instructions:

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 1.29.02 PM.png

I don't know if the AE has the WEP setup button, but assume it does not an go to page 10 of the manual and follow the instruction there. Once the printer is attached, use System Preferences to set up the printer and the Mac should find it just fine.

OP
M
Reaction score
@MacInWin Roger that.

Page 10 is a list of instructions, none of which I understand, so it's going to take a few moments to figure out. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, well, sticking with the party analogy that will eventually break down, what you need to do is to get entrance to the party. The network is the party, you want to get in. A guard will ask for proof you are allowed in, which will be the password for your network. So, the printer will have to show that permission by providing the password to the router. Once that is done and the invitation (password) is approved, the router will assign the printer a "name tag" for the party, basically a four-part number typically starting with 192.168.x.y or 10.0.x.y where the "x" and "y" are between 1 and 255. That number now belongs to that printer and nobody else at the party.

Now you go back to the Mac and through System Preferences look for the printer at the party. In System Preferences/Printers & Scanners, you click on the "+" to add a printer and then a list of all of the printers the Mac has seen will appear. If your printer isn't there, you click on the globe like icon above the list and provide the address (four-part number) of the printer and the Mac will look for that specific address and negotiate the contact between them. In the end, you should see your printer added to the printer list and available for you to use.

So, with that party analogue, you can dive into page 10. Have fun, matchmaker!

BTW, the "button" approach is easier as it is roughly the router shouting out, "Is there a printer out there somewhere?" and the printer answering "ME! Over here!" and the two connecting. So if there is a button and if you prefer to use it, that should work, too. Then once the printer is in the network (party) you pay matchmaker in System Preferences...

OP
M
Reaction score
@MacInWin Jake, you're the expert, not me. :) Does my AE have this "button" or not? Should I post a picture?

I don't think that it does. It has a hole. You stick the end of a paperclip in the hole and it resets the AE. You're supposed to use this if you forget the password for the AE. Not to reset the Wireless LAN. (As far as I know.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think it does. Just follow the "no button" directions. Even if it DOES have a button, that should work. Don't reset the AE, that would just disconnect everything. You just want to add one more to the party. You do remember the password and name of the network, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I tried to find the manual online and if I got the right one, you use the printer panel to find "Network Settings," then "Wireless LAN Settings" and "SSID Settings" to find your network name. Then select the security protocol the AE uses, I think it's WPA2-PSK, and enter the password when it asks for the "token." That should then get the printer connected. The light will flash while the connection is being made, then go solid once it is connected. Then do whatever it takes to find the four-part number, called IP, for that printer to enter in the Mac if you need to do that. The AE itself may be able to show all the devices connected to it, which could be the fastest way to get that IP number, or the printer may have a status page that will print and have the number on the page. You may not need it, but it's better to have it handy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.