Canon Color All-In-One Deal!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Randy. I've had problems with a Canon printer in the past but the price is right on this one. I may give it a try as my Epson is getting on in years (like me). :)

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
Thanks Randy. I've had problems with a Canon printer in the past but the price is right on this one. I may give it a try as my Epson is getting on in years (like me). :)

I can tell you that my Canon MX922 has been a real performer! Actually, I purchased it because I needed a sheet-feed scanner, a job that it does with aplomb. (And at the fraction of the price of any stand-alone sheet-feed scanner.) All of its other features have just been (very welcome) gravy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
My MG6600 which has similar features, is the most temperamental piece of electronics I have EVER owned! It will print happily then the next time refuse to recognise a random ink cartridge (compatibles) and is very finicky about how paper is loaded. I have to run upstairs so often and fix it before it will agree to play. Shame because the print quality is good and it's a very quiet machine.

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
My MG6600 which has similar features, is the most temperamental piece of electronics I have EVER owned! It will print happily then the next time refuse to recognise a random ink cartridge (compatibles)...

This sounds like a problem with the chip put into your compatible cartridges. Do you have similar problems if you use (wildly over-priced) OEM ink cartridges?

I'm afraid that I can't recommend a reliable source for compatible ink cartridges, as you are in the U.K. and I only know of places in the U.S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The Canon Pixma TR8520 (the successor to the wildly popular MX922) is at this very moment going for only $70 on Amazon, which is a STEAL!:

Robot Check

Hi Randy - I have the Canon MX922 for 6+ years and still working fine, plus just needed new ink and invested $65 in 5 new cartridges, so I'll wait until my new ink starts to run out before a replacement consideration. In addition, I reviewed the 'new' printer on Amazon and was somewhat concerned w/ the negative opinions (pic below) - some of the 1* reviews are of concern to me, BUT maybe when I need to make a decision, the reviews will improve? Dave :)

P.S. as usual, the 'cheapness' of the printer is made up soon in the cost of the ink - wish this modus operandi would change!
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.12.45 PM.png

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
Hi Randy - I have the Canon MX922... In addition, I reviewed the 'new' printer on Amazon and was somewhat concerned w/ the negative opinions (pic below) - some of the 1* reviews are of concern to me...

You have a Canon MX922, so I assume that you know how awesome it is. Especially for the price. (I've seen them going for as low as $75.)

If you go back and check, the MX922 had the same odd mix of a bunch of 5 star reviews, and a surprising number of one star reviews on Amazon:

Robot Check

It's been that way with most Canon all-in-one inkjet printers. My conclusion is that no matter how good they are, there are going to be a certain number of individual examples that are defective (the need to make them to sell at a price point, rather than have them be built like a tank, is likely responsible, but to balance that out, my experience is that Canon's warranty support is first rate), but also, sadly, there are a certain number of people who are too stupid to be using computers, and that there are a certain number of people who won't be happy no matter what the circumstances.

P.S. as usual, the 'cheapness' of the printer is made up soon in the cost of the ink - wish this modus operandi would change!
If you are using OEM replacement cartridges, you are letting yourself be raped. There are lots of third party (compatible) cartridges for much less, but many are complete junk. Which is why I've been keeping track of excellent, reliable sources for compatible cartridges for years.

Here is an extremely reliable source for compatible cartridges whose prices are a fraction of those for OEM cartridges:

Set of ALL FIVE replacement cartridges for Canon MX922
$16
Canon PGI-250XL & CLI-251XL High-Yield Compatible Cartridge 5-Pack | Carrot Ink
Or less if you buy in bulk, or get on their mailing list and wait for a sale. I usually do the latter and buy all the cartridges that I need for an entire year at one time. That usually works out as costing less than $60 to be able to print in color with impunity for a year!

DISCLAIMER: If you are the type of person who is going to get all upset and call me names and the like if you get a bad example of an ink cartridge, PLEASE ignore every one of my posts and DO NOT follow my suggestions. It's possible to get a bad example even if you purchase the most expensive OEM supplies. Over the decades I've only gotten a handful of bad examples, and as many from OEM sources as from third party sources. It happens. So know that you purchase at your own risk. I'm sorry that I have to make such a disclaimer, but experience tells me that I have to.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My Epson Printer sometimes will balk at replacement cartridges that I use instead of the more expensive OEM ones. I can usually get them to work by taking the printer off line and then on line again and do a cartridge clean and test.

It's typical of Printer manufacturers to want the user to only use their expensive OEM ink cartridges. HP and Canon are real bad about this and Epson sometimes is too.

I don't know about Brother as I do not have a Brother printer to comment on.

Like Randy stated it depends on who you purchase the cartridge replacements from. I have tried various resellers and it's usually hit and miss because even with a reliable reseller, they don't always supply the same product.

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
Like Randy stated it depends on who you purchase the cartridge replacements from.
I've read that the best compatible ink cartridges come from companies that make their own chips.

Some of the poorer compatible ink cartridge companies use recycled chips, or no chip at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Boy, did not mean to raise an apparent ruckus on obtaining inkjet (IJ) cartridges - I've been buying IJ printers since first introduced and have owned at least a half dozen or so from three different manufacturers, so not a novice; in addition, I've tried many OEM cartridges over the years and knowing their quality variability have always done decent research before purchasing, but despite these precautions have run into some ink problems, thus swaying between the bargain options vs. offerings from the manufacturers. This is a topic that has come up often in this and other forums and becomes a personal decision, depending a lot on obviously variable experiences w/ these printers and their consumables.

My two most recent printers have been by Canon and I've tried OEM cartridges in the previous one w/ several 'messy bummers' - yes, maybe just 'luck of the draw' but this time decided to go back to Canon's cartridges and have not had an issue - NOW, we also have a Brother laser printer which I use almost solely (i.e. not much need for color) and have finally convinced my wife to use B&W for most of her printing needs - thus, I probably replace the cartridges only 2-3x/year - not a big expense.

Once my 'new' cartridge purchase 'runs out' (probably middle of next year), I'll likely replace my 6 y/o Canon (like some of the newer features) and will certainly look at Canon's offerings and likely will stick w/ that brand. And I'm amazed at the pricing on this newer Canon machine, virtually a 'give away'. Just a final note for those looking at new IJ printers, I just finished reading the most recent issue of PC Mag which contained their 'Best Products Ratings' for a 100 or so products/categories. For IJets, their first choice was the one shown below (and on Amazon), i.e. Brother MFCJ6945DW (w/ a year's worth of ink) - BUT $315 on Amazon! There are cheaper Brother models but their ink is just as expensive (may last longer, don't know?). If the prices don't change in 6 months or so, then a new Canon may be my future? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.30.43 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.