Cannot upgrade from Snow Leopard to Yosemite

Reaction score
Hi,

This may sound strange, but after a fresh install of Snow Leopard 10.6.3, which was successfully upgraded to the 10.6.8 version, I cannot find the way to upgrade to Yosemite.

On Apple's website, I could find the page with the "free upgrade" button (in my case "mise à jour gratuite" as I speak French). When I click on it, the button becomes greyed out but nothing happens.

I watched some video and was expecting some dialog to pop up, asking me to enter some password, but it does not happen.

Below the banner showing the photo of the Yosemite park, is written that there is no available upgrade (Aucune mise à jour disponible).

I'm missing something ?

C

chas_m

Tell us a little about the computer you are attempting to upgrade, including model, RAM, free hard drive space and so forth.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you chas_m.

In fact I'm sure that the Mac is upgradable as it had a 250 Gb drive and was already upgraded to Yosemite.

It's a MacBook Pro A1278 with 4 GB RAM.
The drive was just replaced by a 512 GB SSD (Samsung 850 PRO) and a fresh install of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 was done. Online upgrade was done to 10.6.8.

I could not simply clone the 250 GB drive, as increasing the partition size would then have been impossible (I already experienced this with Mac computers).

I have a second A1278 in which I want to temporarilly install the old 250 GB hard drive, and use as source for the data migration.

But before doing this, I want to upgrade to Yosemite the laptop that was freshly installed.

I understood that I had to connect to the Apple Store.

Then, the button to download Yosemite changed from "Obtenir" (Get) to "Télécharger" (Download). When I click it, it becomes grey but nothing happens. I cannot see any popup window, nor progression bar.

I tried to shut the computer down and restart it, but it does not change anything.

OP
G
Reaction score
It's the 15'' Core 2 Duo at 2,53 GHZ.

Try signing out of the Mac App Store and signing back in.
I tried many times. The very strange is that if I do "Store > Search interrupted downloads", there is a popup telling me that all purchases have been downloaded for this account and that I can use the Puchases page to download again the applications on another computer.

It might take a while to prepare the download, so give it an hour and see if it has started the process. It's a huge file (over 5GB!)
Ok, but how will I see if it has started the process. Should I see some download bar?

Another strange things is that the migration assistant cannot see other computers (including a MacBook) connected to the same router, but Internet works like a charm.

Should I maybe create two partitions on the 512 GB SSD and then clone in the first partition thus from the 250 GB drive where Yosemite was successfully installed ?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? Don't know what app you're using to clone.

But, neither of the 2 primary OS X cloning apps, CarbonCopyCloner and Superduper!, require the drives/partitions to be the same size in order to clone from one to another.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.