Cannot update Catalina 15.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16", MacMini M1, iMac M1 24", iPhone 13 Pro Max
I have a 13" MacBook Air 2018 running Catalina 15.2 but trying to update it fails with this message:

macOS could not be installed on your computer

An error occurred installing macOS. To use Apple Diagnostics to check your Mac hardware, shut down, press the power button and immediately hold the ‘D’ key until the diagnostics begins.

Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

When I run diagnostics, no problem is found. If I try to reinstall the operating system, I get the same error. The only thing I can do to get the MacBook working again is to restore a Time Machine backup. Any suggestions to move forward from this impasse?

OP
m.g.mcc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brilliant, thank you. Starting the MacBook in Safe Mode and then running the update has got it updated to 15.4. I had tried so many times, first trying to update to 15.3 and then to 15.4, with the consistent fail message.

Thanks for your help and I will know what to try if the same happens in future. :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Wonderful that you got it sorted and a big thank you to Bob.

Another option might have been to download macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Combo Update from here: Apple - Support - Downloads

Always useful when updating by more than one point (ie from 10.15.2 to 10.15.4)

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Brilliant, thank you. Starting the MacBook in Safe Mode and then running the update has got it updated to 15.4. I had tried so many times, first trying to update to 15.3 and then to 15.4, with the consistent fail message.

Thanks for your help and I will know what to try if the same happens in future. :)

The fact that you were able to install the update while running in Safe Mode tells us that something you have installed was interfering with the update process. Safe Mode removes all third party startups and kexts from starting up when you boot.

Take a look at what you have installed and running. Any anti-virus software? Any clean up software? etc.

OP
m.g.mcc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fact that you were able to install the update while running in Safe Mode tells us that something you have installed was interfering with the update process. Safe Mode removes all third party startups and kexts from starting up when you boot.

Take a look at what you have installed and running. Any anti-virus software? Any clean up software? etc.

OK, thanks, I will try to check that out. I have two Mac Minis and a MacBook Pro and am not aware of having anything installed in the MacBook Air that isn't also installed in the other Macs. No anti-virus software installed, only Malwarebytes and CCleaner neither of which run in the background and both are installed in the other Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.