Cannot open jpeg, jpg or some other extensions such as exe files from thumb drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
6 or 7 years ago I put a load of pictures on a thumb drive. At that time, the thumb drive was used on a Windows computer. All files were scanned by updated McAfee. I have since switched to MAC, glad I did. Some files will open, most will not.

Does anyone know anything I can try to recover them ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Well, exe files are Windows executable programs and won't open/run on Mac. The jpg, jpeg, etc, should open with Preview.

But thumb drives are notoriously unreliable for long term storage, so the whole thing may be duff.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Chilimon

Thank you for your post. Most welcome.

I think it was quite brave of you to commit any kind of long-term storage to a Thumb Drive. Apart from their unreliability, Macs can only read files of any sort that are in some kind of "universal" format such as Word, PowerPoint, Excell, standard photo formats, and as Jake said, like jpeg along with basic video formats.

Again, as my friend Jake said, exe files are unique to Windows. You could try to download such data to a Windows PC and convert them to a more universal format if you can (excluding exe) and try again.

Another option is to purchase Paragon for the Mac which allows the Mac to read and write to NTFS discs:

As the photos and other data have been on a Thumb Drive for 6-7 years, I wonder how precious they are. Only you know that and our suggestions at least offer a partial solution.

BTW your CT scan of the brain (not your brain , I assume) is rather neat. You may or may not be glad to know that the single slice you put in your avatar is normal :) :smile

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OT...
BTW your CT scan of the brain (not your brain , I assume) is rather neat. You may or may not be glad to know that the single slice you put in your avatar is normal :) :smile

Ian

Say Ian, I'm sort of curious if you're implying that poster Chilimon's brain may not be normal. But it should be satisfying
to know that the one being used is normal just in case it is theirs. :rolleyes:I

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
You cannot run.exe on MacOS that's for sure. And if you want to recover jpeg and jpg(in case they are corrupted) then you should go for Data recovery software like DIskdrill or EaseUS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
If I can butt in for a second, can you tell me what the difference is between a jpg and a jpeg?

It's a question I've been meaning to ask for ages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simple, it is an "e."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Ta Jake, that was 'e'-zey weren't it. I had an idea that was the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I don't think there is any difference. Way back in history the filename format was settled on 8.3, that is, eight letters in the first part of the name and three in the extent. There may have been a technical reason for it, probably to do with storage limitations with machines only having small RAM (My first purchased system had 16K of RAM.) but now there is no reason and the restrictions are lifted so now developers are using more letters for filenames. docx, jpeg, etc, are the result. This website has a list of some of them: http://www.vidyagyaan.com/computer-knowledge/list-of-computer-file-extensions-and-their-meaning/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blimey, I hadn't realised there were that many file types. I don't think I'll try to remember them all o_O

Easy to tell that this is a Trans Atlantic Cousins format. It just told me that there's a "z" in realise :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course there is a zed in realize. Everybody knows that. Not everybody knows it's a zed, some say "zee" but I lived in zed-land for. couple of years... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll stick with the 's' Jake and you can hack off the zeds mate:whistle:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Google Search says exactly what Jake posted above Patrick. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Google Search says exactly what Jake posted above Patrick. :rolleyes:

Not exactly surprising Charlie, ;) I posted the Google search suggestion as a reminder and an example of how easy it is to get an answer and without bothering anybody else, and it's fast, but I must say, so were the mac-forum replies!!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Always good to get a second opinion Patrick. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Actually, I don't think there is any difference. Way back in history the filename format was settled on 8.3, that is, eight letters in the first part of the name and three in the extent. There may have been a technical reason for it, probably to do with storage limitations with machines only having small RAM (My first purchased system had 16K of RAM.) but now there is no reason and the restrictions are lifted so now developers are using more letters for filenames. docx, jpeg, etc, are the result. This website has a list of some of them: http://www.vidyagyaan.com/computer-knowledge/list-of-computer-file-extensions-and-their-meaning/

It was a limitation of the FAT file system, and thus by extension, DOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I started on TRS-DOS, I don't remember if that was a limitation there. Of course, all the disk storage then was floppy disks. Hard drives came later. I do remember TRS-DOS would search multiple floppy drives until it found what you asked for, you didn't have to specify a drive in the name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And just to confirm and elaborate a bit what has already been stated:

Then we have the JPG format. There are actually no differences between the JPG and JPEG formats. The only difference is the number of characters used. JPG only exists because in earlier versions of Windows (MS-DOS 8.3 and FAT-16 file systems) they required a three letter extension for the file names. So .jpeg was shortened to .jpg. While Windows and or DOS had this limitation, UNIX did not and so UNIX and MAC users continued to use the .jpeg extension. Newer versions of Windows of course now accept more characters in their file extension, however, .jpg was already being used by a majority of people (and programs needed to work with MS-DOS 8.3) and so it still is the most common extension.

Photo editing programs like Adobe Photoshop and Gimp, all save JPEGs by default to the .jpg extension, on both Windows and MACs. And if you were wondering, you can change the extension both ways and the file will continue to work.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.