Cannot get rid of iTunes purchased music??

Reaction score
Now that I have been able to sync music individually, I have noticed I cannot get rid of any music that has been purchased through iTunes. Even if I uncheck them, it still shows up on my phone. Apple is telling me that I can delete manually from my phone but I would have to go and get it again from iTunes if I want it. I don't want to do that, either. I want that music to sit happily on my mac until I want to use it. Pretty much, I was told that I may have "purchased" it, but I will not have the individual mp3 (or whatever file extension they use)...it will always be tied to iTunes. Is this correct???? If so, I am not thinking I am going to purchase my music that way, any longer. It really doesn't belong to me if I am constantly tied to iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Realistically, no music belongs to you, unless you wrote the music/song.

Which iOS version are you referring to? I have iOS 13. In Settings > Music, there is an option to "Show All Purchases". I believe if you turn that off, you will not see purchased items that are not on your device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.