Cannot find 300gb used space on hard drive.

Reaction score
I have been searching and attempting different things all day, but can't seem to figure out where all my space went.

HD problem.png

Things I have tried:
Resetting Spotlight
Searching Hidden File Folders
Downloading programs suck as Cleanmymac and Omnidiscsweeper.
Checked caches, download folders, tmp files, etc.

Everything that omnidisk shows is accounted for, and I found about 19gb in hidden files. That puts it somewhere in the range of 130GB accounted for in total. So that means there are somewhere around 300gb being used/hidden somewhere that cannot be used.

Things to know:
OS Catalina upgraded from a fresh install of Mojave. Nothing was on the computer.
"Jonathan" is an external drive.
I moved some files and folders into the user folders.
Went to move more files and got an error for not enough space.

Any ideas? I don't really want to format now that I have everything setup how I want it, but obviously I can't move forward with no more space.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, as soon as I posted this a thread came up that didn't show up in my search.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know whether you resolved this or not but wanted to remind you that the upgrade to Catalina divides your drive into two parts:

"Macintosh HD"

"Macintosh HD - Data"

Without going into detail, "Macintosh HD" is read only and contains the system files.

"Macintosh HD - Data" contains your User files and applications which are read and write.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, apparently the trick was running Omni in admin mode. It found the hidden file that the other searches weren't finding. Apparently I had a corrupt backup file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.