Canceling a Cut & Paste

Reaction score
I just cut and pasted a large selection of video files onto a drive and realized I don't need a bunch of them. The transfer will take another two hours. Is there a way to cancel it without yanking the drive? I believe the OS is X Mavericks. Thanks!

UPDATE: Problem resolved. Solution: I'm a big dummy. (there's a little x next to the dl status and if you click on it the transfer is canceled.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Symbology is not always easy to translate into action. ;)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to the Forums.

You solved your problem with a "Paste" already in action. Just to add another tip, if you can even call it that. If you have finished a Paste (or a Drag & Drop, or a Cut & Paste), you can go to the Menu Bar, Edit > Undo (shortcut = Cmd + Z) and it will undo whatever action you have just completed — provided you have not carried out any additional actions since then. Works in most apps including iTunes, iPhoto and so on.

Not a big deal. You probably knew this already. Just saying...

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.