Can you plug external speakers into an iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
I want better speakers because i feel the sounds bounces off my desk because the speakers are on the bottom of the mac. is this possible? are tthere any goods brands that produce quality speakers for a good price.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I want better speakers because i feel the sounds bounces off my desk because the speakers are on the bottom of the mac. is this possible? are tthere any goods brands that produce quality speakers for a good price.?

Seriously, go external amp and spkrs. I've messed about with Mac, and directly plugged speakers, and it seldom works. Mac audio output is very conservative.

You could find a discarded stereo amp system in your locality for next-to-nothing. Utilise it via an audio-out 3.5 mm cable from your Mac headphones socket to the amp to a pair of spkrs. Have fun!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac Aluminum
I've had Altec Lansing 3 piece set for a few years hooked up to my Imacs and love them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.