• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can you "play" a disk image?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I was thinking of transferring my DVD collection over to disk storage and getting a Mac Mini to use as a media center computer, but I'm worried about loss of quality and DVD extras when I just record the movie to MP4 format.

I think I can just copy a disk image, which is just exactly what''s on the disk, but can I get a computer to "play" it as it would a physical DVD? I'm not too well-informed about these things, so I may be off-base here. I just want to retain the DVD video and audio quality and keep the DVD extras if possible.

Thanks,

Reaction score
You can rip DVDs with misc. software and you will get a Video_TS and AUDIO_TS folder containing the contents of the DVD.

VLC Media Player can "play" these folders just as if it were a real dVD. Not sure about the extras, though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a few movies that way for storage and I just click the image and it mounts then play it like a normal DVD.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried copying the files directly from the DVD, but I get an error saying I don't have sufficient privilege. I suppose I need the software. What software will make a copy and keep the same quality as the DVD itself? I've used Handbrake, but it seems like the video/audio quality go way down in the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
I've never used handbrake, but as far as I know it's supposed to rip DVD's with no compression.

I use MacTheRipper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
use mactheripper for this...

also dvdPlayer will play the video ts files as well, no use for vlc in this case
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

also dvdPlayer will play the video ts files as well, no use for vlc in this case
-chris

Yes on both counts.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

-chris

I ripped the DVD using MacTheRipper and copied it all over, but VLC is no use since you can't select screen options and are essentially stuck on the main menu.

I'm not sure what DVD Player you're referring to. If dvdPlayer is a program, where can I get it? I tried using the DVD Player on my Mac to play the TS files, but it says the type is unsupported, which I think is very strange since it's directly from the DVD.

Thanks again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ripped the DVD using MacTheRipper and copied it all over, but VLC is no use since you can't select screen options and are essentially stuck on the main menu.

I'm not sure what DVD Player you're referring to. If dvdPlayer is a program, where can I get it? I tried using the DVD Player on my Mac to play the TS files, but it says the type is unsupported, which I think is very strange since it's directly from the DVD.

Thanks again.

Which Mac do you own? Which OSX? DVD Player is right in the Applications folder and has been since for sure 10.2. That is what coach is talking about. The only time DVD Player is not installed is if your Mac does not have an internal DVD ROM installed.

Also remember to mount the image.

Here is a screen capture of me playing a DVD that I have stored in an Disc Image with OSX's DVD Player.

dvd.jpg

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, got it to work. I tried opening the entire file folder containing audio and video TS folders, which didn't work. I had to select the video folder only. I thought it would leave the audio out, but it played fine.

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.