Can Time Capsule or something like it be used to backup MAC & PC drives via wifi?

Reaction score
Hi all,

In my home we now have an iMac (just purchased our very first 24" iMac... yea!) and a PC. Reading on the forum I've learned how Time Capsule can be used to back-up the iMac via wi-fi. Does anybody know of a similar solution(s) that could be used to back-up both Windows XP and Mac Hard Drive partitions via wi-fi?

Bottom line, I'd like one independent server that can do regularly scheduled back-ups on both my iMac and my PC. I've got spare parts around that I could create a 3rd PC to act as a server but don't know what OS (XP, Linux, other?) and 3rd party software that would support what I'm trying to do.

Thanks

Steven

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 MBP Glossy 2GB Ram
i know that time capsule can back up via wifi using a airport extreme with a HD in it. I have the Airport extreme with out the HD, I plugged in my external HD to it and i still cant use it to back up my MBP via wifi... but i can use it as a external HD. Congrats on the iMac!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm sure there's some kind of client to do what you want. I'd just like to find a solution that works for both Mac and PC so I can keep my back-ups on one server and not have to employ multiple solutions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I believe reading somewhere that with the lastest AirPort Extreme software that you were suppost to be able to plug in a external HD to it and it would connect to your computer wirelessly.

jah

Reaction score
ck out third party mac applications like SuperDuper. this may come close to doing what you want?

another issue is very few of these backup applications inc TimeMachine can do a bare metal restore. i would hate to have to test a backup app in that situation.

TimeMachine
you can make this app backup a mac onto a microsoft network file server. i am doing it at home. macbookpro->wifi->microsoft file server.
the methods are not supported by apple. basically you type in a command string in the terminal and this enables the timemachine options to find ntfs storage. next you create a file myname.sparsebundle on your mac local drive of any size and copy it to the microsoft network file server. myname format is important, formed by the mac hostname+mac_address.

as people are finding the timemachine backup file (myname.sparsebundle) continues to grow... if it is not contained in a partition you will have to delete it from time to time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.