Can Someone Explain iCloud To Me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Okay I know what it is but I'm a bit baffled by how it works in terms of storage space etc.

So anyway, I have had iCloud for some time now mainly because one program I use, MacFamilyTree allows me to have my familytree database in the cloud and access it on my iPad, iPhone, Macbook Pro and iMac. This database is over 5GB in size but I have a 20GB iCloud account.

However every day I get a message on my iPad and iPhone telling me that there isn't enough space in my iCloud to back these devices up.

Now on both my iPad and iPhone I only have the following set to sync to iCloud:
Contacts
Calendars
Reminders
Photos
Keychain
Find My iPad/iPhone

On my iPhone I do also have Documents & Data set but there is no documents to sync to the cloud.

Every device tells me I have 14GB of space left in iCloud. So why am I always told every day that there is insufficient space to back up?

My iPad is a 32GB model whilst my iPhone is 16GB. Is it trying to backup the whole device to iCloud i.e. an additional 48GB of storage is required to do so?

I tend to sync and backup these devices in iTunes anyway every couple of weeks and keep a backup on my iMac so do I need these backed up to the cloud?

I don't mind upgrading to a 200GB iCloud account but I'd only want to do that if it would solve the problem and if I need to.

I also have iTunes Match if that makes a difference and whilst I don't have a lot of my iPhone data wise my iPad is packed with Videos I watch on my commute every day. I don't need these videos backed up to the cloud as I pretty much delete them as soon as I've watched them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The problem is really simple. You either have greater than 15 GB of photos syncing to iCloud, or you have one or more of your devices set to backup to iCloud. On the iPad for example, open Settings, then iCloud. Is the "Backup" option turned on? Check the same on your iPhone.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is really simple. You either have greater than 15 GB of photos syncing to iCloud, or you have one or more of your devices set to backup to iCloud. On the iPad for example, open Settings, then iCloud. Is the "Backup" option turned on? Check the same on your iPhone.

I don't have many photos at all on either device, 350 and say 20 short video files at most so nowhere near 15GB's worth.

I do however have both my iPad and iPhone set to backup to iCloud. On my iPad I have the following set:

General Settings>icloud
iCloud Drive Enabled
Photos Enabled
Contacts Enabled
Calendars Enabled
Reminders Enabled
Keychain Enabled
FInd My iPad Enabled

Under iCloud Drive I have a few apps listed but these like Pages, Numbers etc either have no documents in the cloud or are things that have files of just a few kb

On my iPhone I have exactly the same settings.

The Backup option on both devices is OFF

So as far as I can see the total amount of data I'm asking to sync to the Cloud from these devices is probably around 5-6GB max which should leave me with 8GG-9GB free in iCloud.

That's why I can't figure out why everyday I get a message on my iPad and iPhone saying there is insufficient space in iCloud?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm confused. You say you have both the iPad and the iPhone set to backup to iCloud, then you say that the backup option is turned off.

If you have the option in iTunes to backup to iCloud instead of "this computer", then that's the problem. You are backing up those entire devices to iCloud and eating up your space.

If that option in iTunes is off also, then you need to clarify what you mean by "I do however have both my iPad and iPhone set to backup to iCloud". The services you listed (photos, contacts, etc) are "syncing" via iCloud, and stored there, but more like a master copy. It's not a "backup" per se.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm confused. You say you have both the iPad and the iPhone set to backup to iCloud, then you say that the backup option is turned off.

If you have the option in iTunes to backup to iCloud instead of "this computer", then that's the problem. You are backing up those entire devices to iCloud and eating up your space.

If that option in iTunes is off also, then you need to clarify what you mean by "I do however have both my iPad and iPhone set to backup to iCloud". The services you listed (photos, contacts, etc) are "syncing" via iCloud, and stored there, but more like a master copy. It's not a "backup" per se.

Sorry what I mean is in General Settings there is a section called iCloud. In this there is an option for iCloud Drive and this is set to On. Below this is also an option for Backup and this is set to Off.

I'll have to check (not in front of my Mac at the moment) but I'm 95% sure iTunes is set to backup both devices to my iMac and not the cloud, from memory that's the default option and I don't remember ever changing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.