Can I run Bootcamp and Parallels on vista

Reaction score
I want to run Bootcamp and Parallels on my Macbook Pro because I want to Aero glass and I want to be able to drag files over so I will be using Parallels for that.Can I have Bootcamp and Parallels both installed?I just ordered my Macbook pro and it will come with Parallels can I just put bootcamp on my computer.I wonder about the activation code can I use the same one?Thanks.

Reaction score
You can have both BootCamp and Parallels on the same computer.

If you install Windows via BootCamp, you can then use that installation/partition to run Parallels without needing two separate installations of Windows. (at least for XP; it may be different for Vista)

Also with XP, you can call the MS service line and get a second activation code as long as both copies are on the same machine. However, I seem to recall reading somewhere that some Vista packages don't allow for "free" extra virtual machine licenses.

OP
C
Reaction score
i saw this on the net

But Vista Ultimate is different. Under the Additional Terms section for that OS, the license reads:

You may use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed device.

In other words, if you are running a licensed copy of Vista Ultimate, you can load another copy of that same OS, using the same product key, in a virtual machine on that same computer (the "licensed device"). This license gives Vista Ultimate users a right they wouldn't have with any previous version of Windows. (The Vista Enterprise license will reportedly be even more generous, giving users the right to run up to four virtual copies on the licensed machine. There's no indication of what virtualization rights will be included with Vista Business.)

In this case, at least, Microsoft deserves congratulations, not criticism, for addressing the issue of virtualization in a way that makes sense for its most tech-savvy customers.

Reaction score
I don't believe that is correct.

Previous versions of Windows (like XP) didn't require you to buy a more expensive version/package to run a virtual machine. When I called to get a second key for my XP SP2 Home disk, I specifically told them it was to run one copy on its own partition and a second copy in a virtual machine on the same computer. They had no problem with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I don't believe that is correct.

Previous versions of Windows (like XP) didn't require you to buy a more expensive version/package to run a virtual machine. When I called to get a second key for my XP SP2 Home disk, I specifically told them it was to run one copy on its own partition and a second copy in a virtual machine on the same computer. They had no problem with that.

No, it's correct - the non-Ultimate Vista doesn't license you to run it in a VM.

Bear in mind that Aero won't work in Parallels as there's no 3D support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you install Windows via BootCamp, you can then use that installation/partition to run Parallels without needing two separate installations of Windows. (at least for XP; it may be different for Vista)

The current version of Parallels does NOT support using a Vista Boot Camp partition. If you try it, the Boot Camp option will be grayed out (I learned this the hard way).

So if you want to use the same Windows installation on both Boot Camp and Parallels, you're going to have to do it with XP, at least until Parallels adds support for that particular feature for Vista.

Reaction score
No, it's correct - the non-Ultimate Vista doesn't license you to run it in a VM.

Right. What I'm saying is that pre-Vista, other versions of Windows did allow/license you to run it in a VM. Only with Vista have they come along and created this "Ultimate" version that you have to pay extra money for in order to do that.

But the article quoted above made it sound like the opposite: that you'd never been able to run in a VM before (pre-Vista) and somehow Vista Ultimate was teh roxxor because now you could.

OP
C
Reaction score
Right. What I'm saying is that pre-Vista, other versions of Windows did allow/license you to run it in a VM. Only with Vista have they come along and created this "Ultimate" version that you have to pay extra money for in order to do that.

But the article quoted above made it sound like the opposite: that you'd never been able to run in a VM before (pre-Vista) and somehow Vista Ultimate was teh roxxor because now you could.

I have windows ultimate comming with Parallels installed.Now if I take off Parallels and uninstall vista can I then put bootcamp on with vista and run the Aero glass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Sorry, I misunderstood you. Yes, I suppose when XP was released VM's weren't so likely as they are today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have windows ultimate comming with Parallels installed.

I don't understand you here - You don't install Parallels on Vista.

Now if I take off Parallels and uninstall vista can I then put bootcamp on with vista and run the Aero glass.

You don't need to take Parallels off to install Vista under BootCamp.

OP
C
Reaction score
I don't understand you here - You don't install Parallels on Vista.

When I get my computer and vista is installed with Parallels and when I get it I want to put Bootcamp on my computer wouldn't it not let me do it because I already have vista on my machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That still doesn't make sense. Installing Vista via Boot Camp has nothing to do with Parallels. You start up the Boot Camp Assistant, choose which version of Windows you want to install, partition your hard drive, and then restart the computer to boot into Windows setup. Nowhere during that process should Parallels interfere.

Also, how are you getting your computer with Parallels pre-installed with a copy of Vista?

OP
C
Reaction score
That still doesn't make sense. Installing Vista via Boot Camp has nothing to do with Parallels. You start up the Boot Camp Assistant, choose which version of Windows you want to install, partition your hard drive, and then restart the computer to boot into Windows setup. Nowhere during that process should Parallels interfere.

Also, how are you getting your computer with Parallels pre-installed with a copy of Vista?

I ordered it from macmall

OP
C
Reaction score

I will have to install vista again wouldn't I for it to work with bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you're saying before shipping it to you, MacMall installed Parallels and loaded up a copy of Vista? Even if that IS the case, it STILL shouldn't interfere with installing Vista via Boot Camp.

Do you even know HOW to use Boot Camp? Did you download the software from Apple's website or are you just confusing Boot Camp with Parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

No but it might save space.

This thread is not clear. Assuming you're starting from scratch and you absolutely HAVE to have Vista installed via Bootcamp and Parallels, here's the best approach.

- Get a version of Vista that allows for multiple installs (which is what you're doing)
- Install Vista using Bootcamp initially.
- Install Parallels
- Tell Parallels to boot from the Vista Bootcamp

That's it. If you have Vista already installed under parallels AND you then install it under Bootcamp, you'll use twice as much HDD space. I don't really understand why you want it installed twice... doing so just to get the Aero effects I can assure you is a waste of time and disk space... they won't change your life or anything. If you want to drag and drop files, Parallels is great, but you can always partition a a gig of your drive as FAT32 so Vista and OS X can share files.

OP
C
Reaction score
My parents have Parallels on their computer I have used it and I put it on for them.I don't know anything really about Bootcamp.Before I install Bootcamp I just want to make sure It will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I get my computer and vista is installed with Parallels and when I get it I want to put Bootcamp on my computer wouldn't it not let me do it because I already have vista on my machine.

I'm still not clear. If you mean that your Mac will have Parallels pre-installed, with a Vista installation also pre-installed, then you would have to de-activate Vista in the Parallels VM and re-activate it after you install it under BootCamp. Otherwise, when you instal Vista under BootCamp it will try and activate itself and fail because of the Paralels installation. If you need BootCamp, try and stop them from creating a Vista Parallels installation for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Tell Parallels to boot from the Vista Bootcamp

If it were that simple, this thread wouldn't have been 2 pages long. Parallels, based on the latest beta, can NOT boot from a Vista partition, ONLY XP. Trust me, I know because I've tried and the Boot Camp option is grayed out in the latest beta of Parallels. Now, I'm sure support will be added eventually, but that doesn't help this guy.

CORRY20, quick question, have you TRIED installing Vista via Boot Camp yet? Because it sounds to me as though you haven't really tried but are just getting a feel for whether something is feasible or not. If the machine hasn't arrived, then I would suggest waiting for it before asking these sorts of questions as you'll just get confused from what is really a simple process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.