Can I Connect A Thunderbolt Display (A1407) to an iMac Retina 27?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Chris:

We sure would like to solve this one. I found this (which is over-simplified)

Can you connect a Thunderbolt display to an iMac?

If you're using an Apple Thunderbolt display, the connection is the easiest you will ever have to do. However, note that these displays are especially expensive, but, if you have one, all you have to do is connect the display directly to the Thunderbolt port on your iMac.

I know that you have tried the above and it did not work. You have made some progress in that the USB ports seem to be working which says that the display is powering on okay.

Check out this YouTube video to see if it helps you. According to the video, it should work by using the built in Thunderbolt cable. Also, it appears unless you have a Thunderbolt 3 iMac (like mine) you do not need an adapter.

OP
C
Reaction score
Update and a question:

I rebooted the iMac and the Thunderbolt display came right up - connected via the onboard Thunderbolt cable.

Unfortunately there is an "artifact" on the screen. At first I thought it was a few dead pixels, but the artifact does not show in a screen shot. I have used a non-ammonia Windex to try and clean the screen as well. I believe this is some dust/debris between the glass and the display panel.

Can these be taken apart so the back of the glass can be cleaned?

There are a few regional Apple service places that will do on-site repair. Would that be a good option to try?

OP
C
Reaction score
Actually - I think I might be being stupid. If the screenshot is of the digital data being sent to the screen, it will not show any defect, because the data is there, it's just the pixel(s) not responding to the data.

OP
C
Reaction score
I've been running jsscreenfix over the affected area for an hour or so now - no change. I guess this one needs to be returned as well...

I've also now been looking at the current Apple/LG 27 inch option. I can get a "new" open box Thunderbolt display for about the same $ as a new Apple/LG 27 inch 5k display. Which one would you choose?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi chrison600:

Sounds like you finally got the display to work as it should. However, dead or bad pixels are just that, dead or bad and usually can not be revived. JSScreenfix does not always work and can actually make matters worse.

I would suggest returning that TB display and try your luck with either the new open box TB display or the LG.

In case you're not aware, LG provided the displays for the Apple TB display. The newer LG 27" is actually Apple's replacement for the original TB.

For the same price, I would probably chose the LG as it's newer and has been designed according to Apple's specs. But it's your choice of course.

The LG 27" displays were on sale at one time at Apple for $999.00 but that didn't last long and then the price went up to $1299.00. I came close to buying one myself. Just didn't have the $$ then.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the LG display have a gloss glass screen like the Thunderbolt?

As far as I know, they do. There's a rather long owners thread over at the MacRumors Forum that you might want to read through regarding the 27" LG display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.