Can I back up an external drive TO Time machine?

Reaction score
I had to buy a new Mac, and since I was in a hurry I could only get one with a small capacity SSD (256 GB).
Since this is too small to accommodate all my documents, pictures and music, I put them on an external drive.
I would like to back up all these files to Time Machine but this new external drive is excluded from backups.
I can't remove it from the excluded list because it's grayed out.
Is there any way to do that?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 6.48.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 6.48.13 PM.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 21

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Also, Chronosync, from Econ Technologies.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@nelix Please clarify something for me: Are you trying to make a Time Machine backup and put that and your files on the same external drive? If that's what you're trying to do, I'd advise against it. IMHO that defeats the purpose of a backup. If the external drive fails, you could lose your primary files and the backup simultaneously.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Just for my interest and curiosity, have things changed with macOS Catalina and macOS 11 Big Sur (BS)?

Up to macOS Mojave, which I currently run, I can go into System Preferences > Time Machine > Options where a small window opens allowing me to "Exclude these items from backup" and that is where I input any attached EHDs that I don't want TM to backup - the implication being that TM will backup an EHD if not excluded in this way.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe you would need to reformat the external drive to HFS+ or APFS. I believe the drive came formatted for winOS, and is not compatible with Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just for my interest and curiosity, have things changed with macOS Catalina and macOS 11 Big Sur (BS)?

Up to macOS Mojave, which I currently run, I can go into System Preferences > Time Machine > Options where a small window opens allowing me to "Exclude these items from backup" and that is where I input any attached EHDs that I don't want TM to backup - the implication being that TM will backup an EHD if not excluded in this way.

Ian
Works the same in Big Sur, Ian. By default external drives are excluded but you can remove them from the exclusion list.

OP
N
Reaction score
@nelix Please clarify something for me: Are you trying to make a Time Machine backup and put that and your files on the same external drive? If that's what you're trying to do, I'd advise against it. IMHO that defeats the purpose of a backup. If the external drive fails, you could lose your primary files and the backup simultaneously.

I was trying to back up an external drive with TM but it will only back up from the internal drive. So I used Carbon Copy Cloner, and it works fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.