can get mail but cannot connect to the internet

Reaction score
I don't know what the exact problem is but I can get mail but cannot connect to the internet no matter which browser I use. System Preferences show network settings as ethernet and WiFi are connected but there is no Internet connection. It was working fine, (with occasional hiccups), until a week ago. I have tried all the usual 'turn everything off and back on again' with no success. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Fingers crossed.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We need some additional information. Generally speaking, you have to be able to connect to the internet to retrieve new emails. Can you describe exactly what's happening? It would also help to know which software/hardware you're using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It sounds like the DNS settings are bad. Go to System Preferences, Network and for each interface (WiFi and Ethernet), unlock the pane with the lock and a password, then go Advanced and then to the DNS tab. Click the "+" below the left window to add a number. You can use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (both are Google servers), plus your router address, which is usually 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1. You can find which it is by looking at the IP of the machine, if it's 192.168.1.#, use that, or if it's 10.0.0.# use that one. The 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 are also good. Here is what I have set up for my interfaces:

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 6.10.08 PM.png

They are in order of which is used to find addresses, so in my setup, 1.1.1.1 is preferred, followed by 1.0.0.1, etc. When you have them entered, click on Apply. The changes are immediate, but you may have to enter the URL names again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Are you running any apps that offer DNS protection? If you have good settings in the System Preferences as MacInWin suggested, another app could be interfering in the same manner. VPNs, ad blockers, and anti-malware software are all examples of apps that have this feature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.