Can Find My Mac still persist after...?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently acquired a macbook air 2011 off of ebay. In order to avoid second-hand mac issues relating to icloud remote shut downs, I have performed the following actions:

-Secure erase (using parted magic), deleted old partition and created a new partition (using gparted).
-Cleared PRAM/NVRAM using keyboard procedure a few times, after HD was already wiped.
-Installed Ubuntu (I will be using Ubuntu, and maybe Windows through VB).

My question is if there is any way that Find My Mac capabilities could have persisted, and would it be able to shut me down if I connect the macbook to the internet and the seller (or sellers seller) decides to lock the device on icloud?.

Thanks much,

Jenna Boner :)

Any other info you need I'll be glad to provide.

Hopefully I have placed this under the right subforum, I apologize if I haven't and request mods to place it in the correct location if so is the case.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question is if there is any way that Find My Mac capabilities could have persisted, and would it be able to shut me down if I connect the macbook to the internet and the seller (or sellers seller) decides to lock the device on icloud?.

If you purchased the MacBook Air legally from a seller on eBay, why would you think that the seller would want to shut it down - unless you have doubts about the origination of the machine? Which if that's the case, you should not have bought it.

To answer your question... Find My Mac works whether you have erased everything or not. This from Apple:

The devices broadcast their location if they are connected to the Internet via a mobile or Wi-Fi network. If a Mac is connected to the Internet only by an Ethernet cable, Find My Mac will not be able to locate the device, according to Apple.

OP
J
Reaction score
If you purchased the MacBook Air legally from a seller on eBay, why would you think that the seller would want to shut it down - unless you have doubts about the origination of the machine? Which if that's the case, you should not have bought it.

To answer your question... Find My Mac works whether you have erased everything or not. This from Apple:

The devices broadcast their location if they are connected to the Internet via a mobile or Wi-Fi network. If a Mac is connected to the Internet only by an Ethernet cable, Find My Mac will not be able to locate the device, according to Apple.

Hello, and thank you for your reply. I purchased the MBA from a reseller on eBay. I purchased the item for a low price. I know not where the reseller has acquired the item from. I'm just trying to prevent a PITA situation others near me have had to go through.

As to your answer "Find My mac works whether you have erased everything or not":

-Would Find My Mac be able to communicate given that there is no Mac OS on the device? I didn't do an apple reset or OS reinstall, I erased all partitions on HD including recovery.
-I have cleared my NVRAM/PRAM using the keyboard method. I have read that FMM stores info on NVRAM. Would the keyboard method of resetting NVRAM clear FMM settings? Or would Find My Mac still be able to communicate to the icloud service, without Mac OS, a and cleared NVRAM?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't answer your questions positively. I can only refer you to what Apple stated about "Find My Mac" above.

OP
J
Reaction score
I can't answer your questions positively. I can only refer you to what Apple stated about "Find My Mac" above.

Understood. Thank you for your reply nontheless. I'll wait to see if someone can tell me something pertaining to NVRAM and FMM's current status!

C

chas_m

Whoo boy my spidey-sense is tingling like it's a full moon out!! Anyone else getting that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.