Can anyone recommend a good brand? (external dvd burner)

Reaction score
hey y'all - i bought a macbook in june, but at the time couldn't afford to spring for the superdrive. boy am i regretting that now.

anyway, i went into my local apple store to get an external burner and all they had was the burner for the macbook air, which they told me was incompatible with a macbook. all of the burners i saw at best buy were windows/pc based. i was wondering if any of you could steer me in the right direction as far as getting a good one that would work. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
all of the burners i saw at best buy were windows/pc based. i was wondering if any of you could steer me in the right direction as far as getting a good one that would work. thanks.

In a word - Pioneer. They are really good. The 115D should suit your purposes. Check out its specs at the eshop link provided by joster. Pioneer brand is also available from a number of other outlets. You could operate it 'bare' or buy a USB-Firewire external case for it.

OP
F
Reaction score
thank you both for your suggestions. pardon if i sound stupid but if i buy either one of those, will i be able to use idvd for burning or will they force me to use the software that comes with them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Pioneer works with iDVD. However, you might want to consider using Burn (free) or Toast. Google for other options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.