Can an (Early 2011) MBP run with a dead battery?

Reaction score
Alright, so I knew the battery on my MBP was dying. I figured I'd just leave it plugged in and not use it for heavy duty stuff any more.

Then it shut down and refused to power on again. When you press the battery indicator, all the lights blink for a while.

Should this (early 2011) MBP be able to power on with a dead battery while plugged in, or am I out of luck? Would replacing the battery allow it to power on again, or is this an indication of something more serious?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome tothe forums.

Take it to a Genius Bar and have it checked out. Late model MBP will not boot without a battery. From memory they need 15% power availability. How many cycles has the battery completed?

OP
S
Reaction score
How many cycles has the battery completed?

I don't remember (like I said, the thing won't power on) but it's a good number - makes sense that it'd be dead at this point.

I could buy a new one and replace it myself, but I don't want to do that if that's not the issue. I suppose I could take it to an apple store and have them look at it - can't do any harm, anyway.

My other issue is that to get a new battery you need information like the model number which you can only get from the About This Mac menu... which I can't get to...

EDIT: You actually answered my question, by the way. Thanks! (;

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My other issue is that to get a new battery you need information like the model number which you can only get from the About This Mac menu... which I can't get to...

How to identify MacBook Pro models

On the computer's surface
Shut down your MacBook Pro and turn it over. The serial number is on its bottom surface.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201300

OP
S
Reaction score
How to identify MacBook Pro models

On the computer's surface
Shut down your MacBook Pro and turn it over. The serial number is on its bottom surface.
[/url]

Yeah... that probably works better when it's not a 6-year-old machine where the bottom is way too scratched off to do that (;

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah... that probably works better when it's not a 6-year-old machine where the bottom is way too scratched off to do that (;

Yeah, but I can't help it if Apple's suggestion isn't always exactly in tune with reality… :|

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, but I can't help it if Apple's suggestion isn't always exactly in tune with reality… :|

No worries - it's an Early 2011 15" MBP - there's only two models of that and worst case scenario tat's what return policies are for (;

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No worries - it's an Early 2011 15" MBP - there's only two models of that and worst case scenario tat's what return policies are for (;

You're not going to have a problem getting the correct battery. As long as the battery you do get is for an "Early 2011" MacBook Pro.

All "Early 2011", "Late 2011", and "Mid-2012" 15" MacBook Pro's (nine different models)...use the same battery.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
You're not going to have a problem getting the correct battery. As long as the battery you do get is for an "Early 2011" MacBook Pro.

All "Early 2011", "Late 2011", and "Mid-2012" 15" MacBook Pro's (nine different models)...use the same battery.:)

- Nick

Thanks. I figured it's worth a shot!

OP
S
Reaction score
If anyone's curious, new battery absolutely works. It's absolutely not as powerful as the original one was (Apple make insane batteries) but I'll take 3-4 hours over zero!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congrats on the successful battery replacement/install!:)

Yes...3-4 hours is DEFINITELY better than zero!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If anyone's curious, new battery absolutely works. It's absolutely not as powerful as the original one was (Apple make insane batteries) but I'll take 3-4 hours over zero!

Glad things are working for you, but I'd question your statement about Apple's batteries, as the NewerTech NuPower Batteries sold by macsales.com are usually superior and at a cheaper price if they have a compatible model. Also, there are some other reputable sellers can often meet Apple's battery specs but at a cheaper price.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BAP15MBU78W/
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/App...4Bk6Swi5a1tK3gBYRj-MC7cxxLyLUzg6Y0aAn5x8P8HAQ

But I would have thought a good replacement battery should give more than 3-4 hours, but as said, a lot better than zero!

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...011-real-world-battery-life-test-results.html

- Patrick
=======

OP
S
Reaction score
Glad things are working for you, but I'd question your statement about Apple's batteries, as the NewerTech NuPower Batteries sold by macsales.com are usually superior and at a cheaper price if they have a compatible model.
=======

Yeah, but I'm sad to say the $100+ pricerange is beyond my "I'm not sure this is the problem and I don't want to risk it" budget. I will readily (kinda) admit I was going for "Let's just see if it even powers on again" since there might've been a much deeper issue.

That said, I do still think Apple ships their products with very, very good batteries compared to other manufacturers. This MBP was easily giving me 8+ hours when it was new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but I'm sad to say the $100+ pricerange is beyond my "I'm not sure this is the problem and I don't want to risk it" budget.

Good thinking and I had forgotten about the questionable situation.

Hey, one can always carry a spare charged battery for if and when needed…. Even if it is cheap model… Two for less than the price of one… Why not…??? ;)

- Patrick
======

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey, one can always carry a spare charged battery for if and when needed…. Even if it is cheap model… Two for less than the price of one… Why not…??? ;)
======

Hehe, well this is one of the MBPs where you're not supposed to replace the battery, so I'd have to carry a spare battery and a a bunch of small (weird) screwdrivers and a magnet to hold the tiny screws (;

If I get this thing going, (that's assuming the charger cable is broken now, see my other post) I can always pony up for a better battery :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hehe, well this is one of the MBPs where you're not supposed to replace the battery,

Oppps. sorry.

I forgot that detail and Apple's new thou shalt not replace way. :(

- Patrick
==========

OP
S
Reaction score
I forgot that detail and Apple's new thou shalt not replace way. :(

==========

Yeah, this is the last MBP where you could replace stuff. That's why this thing is still an amazing little machine - upgraded RAM, upgraded the harddrive to an SSD, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.