• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can 1080p videos play perfectly on Macbook pros?

Reaction score
VLC, mplayer and a bunch of others can play 1080 .mp4 files, but they are always choppy/blocky. I tried changing some VLC settings but it didn't help. Is there any way to play 1080 files on a macbook pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
VLC, mplayer and a bunch of others can play 1080 .mp4 files, but they are always choppy/blocky. I tried changing some VLC settings but it didn't help. Is there any way to play 1080 files on a macbook pro?

Well that all depends on which MacBook Pro you have and how those files are encoded.

C

chas_m

And a dozen other factors.

I fear you have confused us with Psychic Friends Network. More info, please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
and how those files are encoded
I can play 1080p Quicktime videos recorded on an iPad on my 6 year old white MacBook without any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
A better definition of "choppy/blocky" would help, possibly even with a single frame screen capture to show what you're describing.

If the playback stutters, it can be for a variety of reasons - if it looks like long pauses it's probably dropping frames (which it really shouldn't on a MacBook Pro).

If it has what appears to be odd quick stutters at full screen there's a possibility that it's a frame rate rendering issue (ie: if a movie is 1080p24 (24fps) being played back on a screen that has a 60hz refresh, it can cause what I like to call micro stutters due to the refresh being out of sync with the fps of the video being played back)

If it looks like there are large block squares in the picture (similar to what you might see in the pictures here: The good, the bad, and the…beautiful | TokBox Blog) it could be a compression issue - H.264 is a lossy compression, the more highly compressed a file is the more "blocky" certain areas (especially what might appear to be constant tones like black or blue sky where there really are many gradients) will appear - also motion will suffer from this with higher compression. All movies digitally encoded will display some of this - Movies from Apple for example are very highly optimized and look very good for their overall size but can still show some "blocks" in certain scenes/backgrounds due to the compression (think about it - a 1080p movie on bluray can be anywhere from 20-40ish with the average at about 30ish mbps for video. Most 1080p video files are encoded at a significantly lower bit rate - quality at that point will depend heavily on the algorithms used as well as the ability of who is doing the compression to optimize the process for the source media (which is why movies on iTunes usually look very good for their respective size)

OP
C
Reaction score
A better definition of "choppy/blocky" would help, possibly even with a single frame screen capture to show what you're describing.

If the playback stutters, it can be for a variety of reasons - if it looks like long pauses it's probably dropping frames (which it really shouldn't on a MacBook Pro).

If it has what appears to be odd quick stutters at full screen there's a possibility that it's a frame rate rendering issue (ie: if a movie is 1080p24 (24fps) being played back on a screen that has a 60hz refresh, it can cause what I like to call micro stutters due to the refresh being out of sync with the fps of the video being played back)

If it looks like there are large block squares in the picture (similar to what you might see in the pictures here: The good, the bad, and the…beautiful | TokBox Blog) it could be a compression issue - H.264 is a lossy compression, the more highly compressed a file is the more "blocky" certain areas (especially what might appear to be constant tones like black or blue sky where there really are many gradients) will appear - also motion will suffer from this with higher compression. All movies digitally encoded will display some of this - Movies from Apple for example are very highly optimized and look very good for their overall size but can still show some "blocks" in certain scenes/backgrounds due to the compression (think about it - a 1080p movie on bluray can be anywhere from 20-40ish with the average at about 30ish mbps for video. Most 1080p video files are encoded at a significantly lower bit rate - quality at that point will depend heavily on the algorithms used as well as the ability of who is doing the compression to optimize the process for the source media (which is why movies on iTunes usually look very good for their respective size)

there are quick stutters and also the large blocks associated with compression [one half of the image could look good and the other half looks kind of smudged]
it seems the file isn't designed for playing on my mac from the description you've given, i'll try converting it [it's a shame though]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may want to through it into another player to see how its handled. Although many players use the same decoders, they have custom settings that can sometimes change the way the same file plays between different software. Then if it plays well in the other software, find out what the settings were in that software and see if you can get a similar config in your player of choice (ie: if it plays well in PLEX or MplayerX, find its settings for ffmpeg and go into vlc and set the settings as close to what the other player uses and you should get similar if not same results)

Usually I use PLEX to watch most of my movies/TV shows (also because I have it feed the media to my ATV3) and only use VLC for quick playback sessions.

C

chas_m

I know my 2009 couldn't handle it well either, but that was down to the weak video chipset. The 2012 MBP I'm using now has 4x the video RAM (intel HD 4000) and 1080p plays way better now. Having a good deal of RAM seems to help a lot as well.

OP
C
Reaction score
I know my 2009 couldn't handle it well either, but that was down to the weak video chipset. The 2012 MBP I'm using now has 4x the video RAM (intel HD 4000) and 1080p plays way better now. Having a good deal of RAM seems to help a lot as well.

i'll put ram down for another upgrade. it only seems like yesterday that my mac was top grade

OP
C
Reaction score
You may want to through it into another player to see how its handled. Although many players use the same decoders, they have custom settings that can sometimes change the way the same file plays between different software. Then if it plays well in the other software, find out what the settings were in that software and see if you can get a similar config in your player of choice (ie: if it plays well in PLEX or MplayerX, find its settings for ffmpeg and go into vlc and set the settings as close to what the other player uses and you should get similar if not same results)

Usually I use PLEX to watch most of my movies/TV shows (also because I have it feed the media to my ATV3) and only use VLC for quick playback sessions.

i've heard of plex, i'll check it out

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Plex is very nice. Nice media server software also!

OP
C
Reaction score
i tried pled, it's not playing the file. i think the best thing would be to convert the file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's honestly odd - I haven't been able to throw a video file at my MBP it couldn't play and for that matter even the Mac Mini I used to have (intel based C2D, 2009 model with 9400m graphics) could easily play video files without dropping frames up to about 30-35Mbit/s...

OP
C
Reaction score
That's honestly odd - I haven't been able to throw a video file at my MBP it couldn't play and for that matter even the Mac Mini I used to have (intel based C2D, 2009 model with 9400m graphics) could easily play video files without dropping frames up to about 30-35Mbit/s...

it must be the file then if intel based macs can play them. hopefully the conversion will work

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.