Camera advice please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I had IS set to mode 2 (it's the 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens) to allow for panning. A truly incredible lens.

I'm actually debating on whether or not to buy a used one. I've taken a turn towards studio photography and working towards more of a business than a hobby, so unfortunately, my needs have changed a lot. It doesn't change the fact that even the 70-200 f/4 that I got to use one day was the sharpest lens I've had on my camera out of any L series (17-40 and 24-70). I really want one, but I really need a wide sharp lens for studio work and more lights.

If I had a 5D, then it would be no contest as the focal length wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Nice shot. What about for panning?

What lenses?

For panning I want to be stepped down as much as possible ideally F22 but obviously that is dependent on the levels of the ambient light.

Lenses I own are as follows;

17-55mm f2.8
28-105mm f3.5-4.5
70-200mm f2.8
300mm f4

The above shot was captured with the 300mm f4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I'm actually debating on whether or not to buy a used one. I've taken a turn towards studio photography and working towards more of a business than a hobby, so unfortunately, my needs have changed a lot. It doesn't change the fact that even the 70-200 f/4 that I got to use one day was the sharpest lens I've had on my camera out of any L series (17-40 and 24-70). I really want one, but I really need a wide sharp lens for studio work and more lights.

If I had a 5D, then it would be no contest as the focal length wouldn't be as much of an issue.

For studio work on a crop camera, the 70-200 would definitely be too long. I think it would be too long (and frankly, too heavy) even on a FF camera like the 5D for studio work. Why not some prime lenses? I use the 85 f/1.8 on my 5D, and it is a wonderful portrait lens, both fast, sharp and with wonderful bokeh. Again, it may be a tad long on a crop camera, in which case the 50 f/1.4 is an excellent choice without busting the bank.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Without auto focus, and focus tracking, it would have been very difficult to achieve this level of sharpness.

Well with slow moving vehicles like that then yes auto-focus is perfectly suitable, but if that was a fast straight (and by fast i mean 150mph+) then its
actually quite easy (and more consistent) with manual focus because you know the car is going to (more or less) be on the same line every lap, so pick a point and manual focus on it, fire the shutter as the car passes through your focal point and if your timing is right you are guaranteed a sharp shot.

* shooting at f2.8 has minimal depth of field and so the area in focus will be very shallow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
For studio work on a crop camera, the 70-200 would definitely be too long. I think it would be too long (and frankly, too heavy) even on a FF camera like the 5D for studio work. Why not some prime lenses? I use the 85 f/1.8 on my 5D, and it is a wonderful portrait lens, both fast, sharp and with wonderful bokeh. Again, it may be a tad long on a crop camera, in which case the 50 f/1.4 is an excellent choice without busting the bank.

I have the 50mm 1.8 and the kit, but I wanted something like the 27-70L/17-40L/10-22 and I could get at least two of the more expensive of the three for the cost of the 70-200. However, I did find one for $1400 shipped an insured that was taken good care of.

Plus I need two more lights and the wireless triggers for them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.