Calculating Storage amounts on disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, 256GB 16GB memory. MBA M1 2020 256GB, 8GB memory.
I have 1TB of storage on my existing iMac Late 2012. As mentioned on another thread I am considering buying the iMac 24" with 256GB storage which is ample for my needs as I am currently using 167.57GB. As I use the iMac for home use I don't see this increasing very much, if at all. I am considering increasing my free Apple Cloud storage of 5GB to 50GB (monthly cost £0.79) on the basis that the Apple Cloud could keep everything in sync with my MBA M1. The 167.57GB is made up of, Music 92.78GB, Photos 12.17GB, Apps 5.88GB, System 11.37GB, Other 40.79GB, Mail 977.4MB (call it 1GB), Documents 3.58GB which adds up to 167.57GB. I don't need to store my Music on the Cloud so deducting that would result in a storage requirement of 74.79GB. The alternative to using Cloud storage would be for me to Air-Drop any new or altered documents from the iMac to the MBA once a month at the time I do my maintenance and back-up routine. (The iMac is my main computer, the MBA was bought to use when away from home on holiday (sorry vacation!)

Questions:
1. Does the Cloud need to/or does it automatically, store 'Apps' and 'System'? if not that would reduce the requirement for storage to 57.44GB. That just leaves 'Other'.
2. Does the Cloud need to/or does it automatically store 'Other'? If not that's a further 40.79GB of Cloud storage I don't need.
3. 40.79GB in 'Other' sounds a lot to me. I found some instructions on the web about cleaning the 'Other' category but for me it looks too daunting. I'd be really frightened of deleting something I shouldn't. Would anyone on this forum like to comment/give advice? Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
No reason to bump a one day old post.

I am currently using 167.57GB. As I use the iMac for home use I don't see this increasing very much, if at all.

That is all you need to consider. You have only used 168GB and don't see it increasing. If you get 256GB new machine, that should be sufficient for the future. The rest of the questions really don't matter. Whether or not you expand iCloud is up to you, but you don't NEED to do it because of the drive size.

But to answer you three questions:

1. No
2. No
3. That's not a large "other." Mine is 68GB on a 1TB drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, 256GB 16GB memory. MBA M1 2020 256GB, 8GB memory.
No reason to bump a one day old post.

That is all you need to consider. You have only used 168GB and don't see it increasing. If you get 256GB new machine, that should be sufficient for the future. The rest of the questions really don't matter. Whether or not you expand iCloud is up to you, but you don't NEED to do it because of the drive size.

But to answer you three questions:

1. No
2. No
3. That's not a large "other." Mine is 68GB on a 1TB drive.

Thank you Jake

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have 1TB of storage on my existing iMac Late 2012. As mentioned on another thread I am considering buying the iMac 24" with 256GB storage which is ample for my needs as I am currently using 167.57GB.

You need to reconsider that. Your "needs" now and your future "needs" may be vastly different. Inflation not only refers to money and spending but also to drive storage.

I advise purchasing at least 512 GB of storage. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.