Buying used macbook pro?

Reaction score
I was randomly scanning on craigslist in the computers section and came across a craigslist post which had a macbook for sale. I was looking at it and it looks decent for the price and figuring if you guys think its worth it to go for a used computer?

For sale Macbook Pro 15 purchased Aug 2011, 2.0 Quad Core i7 with upgraded 128 GB Western Digital SSD and 8 GB ram. Very fast machine. Have proof of purchase, box and 15 inch protective sleeve. Machine has been babied, I just want to go back to a Macbook Air.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B1E
SMC Version (system): 1.69f1
He wants $1600 for it. Think I should go for it eventhough its used and you never really know? I have been looking for a new laptop for a while (my 4 year old Acer has done well but its getting slower now). Just been debating if I want to get a good high end windows laptop, or go with a macbook and run bootcamp to get windows to dualboot on it so I get the best of the both worlds.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
He wants $1600 for it. Think I should go for it eventhough its used and you never really know? I have been looking for a new laptop for a while (my 4 year old Acer has done well but its getting slower now).

First let's remember we're talking about a MacBook Pro...not a MacBook...there is a difference (thread title says MacBook Pro...but posting mentions "MacBook" twice).:)

In any case...$1600 may not be a bad price...since it has 8gig of ram and an SSD drive.

For $1359...you can get the same computer directly from Apple (refurbished):

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

...it has 4 gig of ram, and a "regular" hard drive....thus the price difference between the Craig's List MacBook Pro, and the MacBook Pro from Apple.

You could always get the one from Apple for $1359...and upgrade the ram & add an SSD drive later (if you want)...or try to negotiate a better price from the Craig's List seller for their computer.

HTH,:)

- Nick

p.s. Of course you will have to pay sales tax for the MacBook Pro from Apple:(...so that would add roughly $80-$90 bucks to that deal. So if the Craig's List computer is in good shape (good cosmetically)...it may be the better $$$ deal. Of course with the computer from Apple you would get a full 12 months of Applecare...with the Craig's List computer you have about 9 months of Applecare remaining.

OP
L
Reaction score
First let's remember we're talking about a MacBook Pro...not a MacBook...there is a difference (thread title says MacBook Pro...but posting mentions "MacBook" twice).:)

In any case...$1600 may not be a bad price...since it has 8gig of ram and an SSD drive.

For $1359...you can get the same computer directly from Apple (refurbished):

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

...it has 4 gig of ram, and a "regular" hard drive....thus the price difference between the Craig's List MacBook Pro, and the MacBook Pro from Apple.

You could always get the one from Apple for $1359...and upgrade the ram & add an SSD drive later (if you want)...or try to negotiate a better price from the Craig's List seller for their computer.

HTH,:)

- Nick

p.s. Of course you will have to pay sales tax for the MacBook Pro from Apple:(...so that would add roughly $80-$90 bucks to that deal. So if the Craig's List computer is in good shape (good cosmetically)...it may be the better $$$ deal. Of course with the computer from Apple you would get a full 12 months of Applecare...with the Craig's List computer you have about 9 months of Applecare remaining.

Thanks mate, I looked on the Candian site (I am from Canada) and it was for $40 more so maybe I will look at picking it up off the apple store possibly and maybe looking to upgrade RAM/HD in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Mac2Sell - Guide to used Mac, iPad, iPhone & iPod prices this computer at CA$1,820. If you got the cheaper one from Apple, a RAM upgrade in the future would cost you $400 alone. Knowing that it's worth at least $1820, I'd snag it for the $1600 and the only thing you may have to change in the future would be a bigger HDD which would be considerably less than a RAM upgrade. Hope this helped.

- ImageX

OP
L
Reaction score
Mac2Sell - Guide to used Mac, iPad, iPhone & iPod prices this computer at CA$1,820. If you got the cheaper one from Apple, a RAM upgrade in the future would cost you $400 alone. Knowing that it's worth at least $1820, I'd snag it for the $1600 and the only thing you may have to change in the future would be a bigger HDD which would be considerably less than a RAM upgrade. Hope this helped.

- ImageX

Oh thanks mate, thats a great site. I just don't know if I would really need 8GB RAM for a notebook, still got a desktop PC thats at 8GB and dont use that all the time.

Guy got back to me, said he was just about to withdraw his craigslist posting so I may try to barter him down to $1400 first and go from there. Great computer non the less.

OP
L
Reaction score
RAM does not cost $400. It cost $40.

Thats a big difference, I just googled it and got crucial.com and found 8GB Ram (4GBX2) for $53-59 depending on when the macbook was made (late 2010, or 2011) so yea $400 is a big difference now.

Apple charges $210 for 8GB instead of 4 GB on the low-end 15" model, so I could just buy the 4GB and order 8GB from crucial.com I guess.

Reaction score
Lener, I don't think you know what you're talking about. You can buy memory very cheap and no where near your $200 price tag. Please stop spreading bad information.

OP
L
Reaction score
Lener, I don't think you know what you're talking about. You can buy memory very cheap and no where near your $200 price tag. Please stop spreading bad information.
What the frick are you reading? Re-read what I said, I broke it down into a nice easy sentence for you....
Apple charges $210 for 8GB instead of 4 GB on the low-end 15" model
Notice I said "Apple" as if I was ordering from the site? To upgrade to 8GB its an extra $210 in Canada. Yes I saw you said I can get it cheaper and I found it for $60 on various RAM websites so please don't rip me if you are not going to read my sentences properly. Anyways still want to say thanks for helping me find RAM cheaper mate.

Anyways want to say thanks to those who replied. I will see if I decide to buy off the guy tomorrow or just end up ordering from Apple to do financing so its not 1 big chunk of change I have to spend.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Please do your research before making comments like this. "Lenerdosy" was talking about how much Apple charges to upgrade a MacBook Pro from 4gig to 8gig of ram.

YES...Apple does currently charge $200 (US dollars) to upgrade a MacBook Pro from 4gig to 8gig of ram when you order a computer & custom configure it. This is why we at Mac-Forums DO NOT recommend doing this upgrade...because a user can upgrade the ram on their own for much less.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Folks, please - be sure to read up on our Community Guidelines, specifically rule #1:

Play nice.
Our community is made up of many kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable. Others may not think the way that you think, believe what you believe, know what you know, or see what you see. Always be polite and respectful in your interactions with others.

OP
L
Reaction score
Please do your research before making comments like this. "Lenerdosy" was talking about how much Apple charges to upgrade a MacBook Pro from 4gig to 8gig of ram.

YES...Apple does currently charge $200 (US dollars) to upgrade a MacBook Pro from 4gig to 8gig of ram when you order a computer & custom configure it. This is why we at Mac-Forums DO NOT recommend doing this upgrade...because a user can upgrade the ram on their own for much less.

- Nick

If I did order one from Apple, what upgrades would you suggest I do on my own to it? Thinking price wise atm I could do the same tweeks (RAM + SSD HD if I really wanted) for about same price as guy is selling on craigslist but have the warranty straight from Apple.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I did order one from Apple, what upgrades would you suggest I do on my own to it? Thinking price wise atm I could do the same tweeks (RAM + SSD HD if I really wanted) for about same price as guy is selling on craigslist but have the warranty straight from Apple.

I'm thinking that if the computer on Craig's List for $1600 (maybe less if you can negotiate a slightly lower price)...is probably your best bet...assuming it is in ok shape (cosmetic shape & operational shape)...and it still has 9 months of Applecare remaining on it.

If you were to buy the refurbished MacBook Pro from Apple. It would cost you:

- $1359 for the computer
- about $80-$90 for sales tax
- about $50-$60 for an 8gig ram upgrade
- about $200 for a 120gig SSD

This would be a total of $1689 - $1709.

Of course the refurbished computer ordered from Apple would cost you less money (without upgrades) $1359 + $80-$90 sales tax = $1439 - $1449...unless you can negotiate a lower price for the Craig's List computer.

Overall...it really looks like the Craig's List computer would be the better deal.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Why would you mention that Apple sells it for $400 instead of redirecting a user to an extremely cheaper alternative. I know you said APPLE sells it for $400 but your post carried the message that RAM is expensive and you based your advice on that. I bought 8GB of DDR3-1333 for $31 AR. That's what you should be telling people so you do not misguide them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Why would you mention that Apple sells it for $400 instead of redirecting a user to an extremely cheaper alternative. I know you said APPLE sells it for $400 but your post carried the message that RAM is expensive and you based your advice on that. I bought 8GB of DDR3-1333 for $31 AR. That's what you should be telling people so you do not misguide them.

appleram.jpg

I wasn't misguiding anyone. I've never done any research into RAM for my MBP and this is what I saw when I went to Apple's website to look for it for my computer. I never said you can only buy RAM from Apple, so don't accuse me of anything. None of the info. I provided was false or misleading. I still stand by my statement of $1600 being a good price for what that computer is. Have a good day.

BTW - You should listen to Critical, he's been a member for a few hours now. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.