Buying Software for My New MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Well, I want to start by telling you all that I brought home a shiny new 15" MacBook Pro last night, and I'm absolutely loving it. (Ask me again in a couple months; I'm almost certain I'll say the same thing.)

I have a serious question, though: When buying software for this computer, I need to buy it Mac version, but how can I be sure that it will work with the Intel processors vs. the older PowerPC processors? For example, I was just looking at pre-ordering Adobe CS3, and they only provide two options. Does the "Mac" version cover both?

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have seen very few programs that are designated for intel Macs over older Macs and they have all been utility programs. I think pretty much all software comes to work with either type of computer. That's the way Apple does things to keep it simple and easy for the users. However, there may be a few exceptions. I'm sure if it doesn't say designated for one or the other it'll work for both. If you list the software you want, I'm sure anyone here can tell you from personal experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
CS3 is Intel-Native. On the software box there should be a Blue and White ying-yang logo that signifies it's Universal Binary (both Intel and PPC native).

M

MacHeadCase

Hey inertkinesis! Welcome to Mac-Forums and to the Mac platform.

When you see the Universal logo (look at Universal. jpg image below), it means that the app runs on both Power PC Macs and Intel-based Macs. I have seen some apps to be released for Intel-based Macs only, namely the Adobe's Soundbooth CS3.

As for Power PC-only apps, there is a Rosetta-compatible list on MacInTouch but it could be well out of date.

And in case you didn't know what Rosetta was...

Hope this helps. :girl:

Universal.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I haven't bought very much Mac software other than MS Office but I'd have to assume that most all of the Mac software on store shelves right now is universal. Am I mistaken?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
I haven't bought very much Mac software other than MS Office but I'd have to assume that most all of the Mac software on store shelves right now is universal. Am I mistaken?

Most? Now?
Probably not.
Only way to know is to go look at the box for the UB symbol mentioned earlier.
If it doesn't, don't worry about it. That's what Rosetta is for.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

There are still some hold-outs, Office and Photoshop being the most long-awaited (although I believe Photoshop CS3 is either released or close to it). Personally, I'm holding onto my wallet for the Universal version of Photoshop Elements. I use it quite a bit on my XP machines, can't wait for 5.0 for the Mac.

Not to thread hijack - but does anyone know if you can purchase an "upgrade" if you previously owned a Windows version?

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah I've read this before in a M-F thread. Adobe calls it a cross-grade and you can get special prices. This has come up a few times and I never could find it again with the M-F search.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.