Buying my first mac !

Reaction score
Hi !

Im willing to give macs a chance and try out my first mac after 10 years of pc. Now here is my problem :

Apple just released the new rMBP for 13'. And i have a few questions:

Can i use a friends gift card to buy it ? He just bought an air a few days ago.
Do i get the 100aud gift card for purchasing refurbished rmbp ? Cus if i dont that would mean refurb 256 = new 128...

Im also strugling to choose between :

Refurbished rmbp 2014 128gb - 1359aud
Refurbished rmbp 2014 256gb - 1569aud
New rmbp 2015 128gb - 1659aud
New rmbp 2015 256gb - 1959aud

Last but not least your opinion about 128 vs 256, and its obvious im no facebook office user else i would aim for air not pro ! How bad is it to have 128 and use external ssd for running stuff ?

Sorry for long post thankyou in advance !

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...and its obvious im no facebook office user else i would aim for air not pro !

Nothing is obvious. You're a first time poster on Mac-Forums. We know nothing about you!

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok im going for pro nick sorry for my preposterousness! Can you help me on the subject ��?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can i use a friends gift card to buy it ?

I think so. Bring your friend with you just in case (if buying at a Store).:) If you are purchasing refurbished (online purchase only). Then just go thru the process of buying…when necessary enter the gift card info…and see if it is accepted.

Do i get the 100aud gift card for purchasing refurbished rmbp ?

I don't know. Are the Apple Stores in Australia offering some sort of special deal where they are giving away $100 gift cards? Usually Apple refurbished items don't qualify for any additional "deals".

Im also strugling to choose between :

Refurbished rmbp 2014 128gb - 1359aud
Refurbished rmbp 2014 256gb - 1569aud
New rmbp 2015 128gb - 1659aud
New rmbp 2015 256gb - 1959aud

What specifically is the struggle?

Last but not least your opinion about 128 vs 256…

256 is better than 128.:)

How bad is it to have 128 and use external ssd for running stuff ?

Running from an external will be slower. And of course with a portable computer like a MacBook Pro…you will have the inconvenience of having to plug & unplug an external device.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
As far im aware you get about 73 free gb from the 128gb mbp OS + standard apps which seems pretty terrible for a notebook i intend to keep for at least 2 years.

On the other hand i can get my hands on the new mbp just released for better specs if i do go 128 for the same price of the 256 2014 one... Are the specs worth the smaller hd?

Also if u feel 128 is not that little or have some alternative And the new rmbp is not that big of a deal why waste money ? I would go with the old 128.

A last scenario is the new macbook is totally worth it and 128 is just not able to cut it :/ i would see myself inclined to invest some money on the last one ....

I just feel that 73 gb cant even take care of pics and music but i may be wrong !
And since i wont get the gift card from refurbished ones that makes the new rmbp 100 aud cheaper than before since i will use my friends card and give mine to him if i buy it !

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just feel that 73 gb cant even take care of pics and music but i may be wrong!

This is really the key factor. You know your storage needs better than anyone else (especially complete strangers on an internet forum)!;)

If you feel that 73gig remaining after the OS & standard apps are in place…then you need to get more installed storage. Or manage things VERY carefully (don't store anything on the internal drive that is frivolous or unnecessary). Or use an external device to store the pics & music (but this can be a hassle or inconvenient).

For example…I'm absolutely 100% sure the pics & music you feel you would have stored will not be accessed everyday. So you would have to store just the important pics & music. With 128gig of storage…you just have to manage things more carefully. This is the price (or hassle) you pay for having less storage.

One other thing to be aware of. You should NEVER allow the storage device on an Apple computer get 100% full. If it does get 100% full…the computer will "lock-up"…and you won't be able to do anything with it.

To run efficiently…you should probably maintain at least 10-20gig of free space (actually even more than 20gig). So if you subtract 20gig from 73gig…that leaves just 53gig of free space to be used to store things.

So guess what?? This almost forces you to use an external device for extra storage…or get 256gig of internal storage.:)

If your budget will not allow you to get 256gig of storage on the newest 2015 rMBP…then guess what?…you gotta go with the refurbished 2014 with 256gig of storage.

The bottom line is:

- If you can manage things properly with 128gig of storage installed…then get the 2015.
- If you need 256gig of internal storage (and cannot increase your budget)…then you got to get the refurb. 2014.

Remember. After the purchase you cannot increase the amount of internal storage. You are stuck with what you have at time of purchase. So it is an important decision.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.