Buying MacBook Pro or iPad Pro

Reaction score
I’m debating between buying a new MacBook Pro or an iPad Pro.
Can I use iPad Pro for photoshop, web & UX design, Lightroom, premier pro and after effects? I’m sure I can’t do them all but can someone tell me what I can or can not do with iPad Pro?
Which version should I get ?
iPad mini ? 12.9 inch?
- if Mac mini : should I get M1 or intel chip? Since M1 is new and other softwares are mainly made for intel.
Any information that help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy the new M1 MacBook Pro (more expensive) and you'll be able to run both Mac and iOS applications on it. Best of both worlds. The M1 MacBook Air is less expensive and likewise can run both Mac and iOS applications. Check them out on the Apple Store site.

If you are a serious photographer, you may be disappointed in trying to run all those apps you mentioned on an iPad Pro, even a 12.9" model with Pen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can you kindly explain what do u mean by running iOS on MacBook Pro?
Thanks

The same applications that you can run on your iPhone, you'll be able to run them from the new M1 Macs.

What about Mac Mini? What can I do with it?

The Mac Mini M1 like other Mac Mini computers will need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. If you have those, the Mini will be a very effective computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I have an much loved, oldish, iPad mini but wouldn't recommend it for photo editing as the screen is too small. I upload photos from my camera when on holiday as a back up.

OP
Q
Reaction score
The Mac Mini M1 like other Mac Mini computers will need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. If you have those, the Mini will be a very effective computer.
Thank you. I am going to use it at my desk which I use all of those anyway- even with my MacBook.
I saw Mac Mini M1 is cheaper than the icore version. Do you know the difference ??

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iPad (even the Pro) is not going to be a good replacement for a Mac. The iPad Pro is going to be a very good mobile device for certain tasks like taking notes, or simple creative things, but for anything heavy duty, you're going to need a computer (whether desktop or notebook).

OP
Q
Reaction score
Now the question is : if I get mini... should I get M1 or intel ? The intel chip is more expensive for whatever reason. M1 is the new chip but not compatible with existing softwares and requires to run a third application in order to work.
Above is an info I got from Apple sales today. But he couldn’t say if one is better than another.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would definitely get the Mac Mini M1. I don't know what the Apple sales person told you but the M1 will be equipped with Big Sur as its OS and also has Rosetta 2. Rosetta 2 allows you to run your Intel programs just as if you were on an Intel machine.

All new future software for the Mac will be written for the M1 and newer Apple silicon machines. Buying an Intel Mini in my opinion that will be obsolete in a few years is not a good investment.

However, you know your needs better than anyone so the choice is yours. If you do get the Mini M1, buy the model with more storage and 16GB of memory. (If you can afford it.)

OP
Q
Reaction score
I would definitely get the Mac Mini M1.
If you do get the Mini M1, buy the model with more storage and 16GB of memory. (If you can afford it.)

Ok then. If I upgrade to 16GB, and add extra storage to 1TB... I’ll end up with 1300.00 which is in my budget. Same as an iPhone. This is not bad at all. Thnx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.