Buying a Mac Book Pro from Amazon

Reaction score
Hey Madams & Sirs!!
I am currently using a Mac Book Pro but it was on loan.

Now I want to buy my own. I am wondering if I buy off of Amazon, if I will get a refurbished macbook or if some sellers are actually trustworthy?

Anyone with this experience?
Thanks guys!

Best,

Capatane

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Provided you buy the MacBook Pro from an Amazon authorized reseller it should be trustworthy. If it's not what the reseller advertises, you can get a refund from Amazon. Having said that, the best place to buy a refurbished MacBook Pro is from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Alternatively you could haunt BestBuy and wait for an open box. Discount and BB rewards too.

Reaction score
Now I want to buy my own. I am wondering if I buy off of Amazon, if I will get a refurbished macbook or if some sellers are actually trustworthy?

If a vendor offers to sell you a brand-new Macintosh, unless the vendor is an "Apple Authorized" vendor, than what you will be getting either isn't actually brand-new, or it will be what is known as "grey-market goods", which means that the product is illegally being sold by a non-authorized vendor. You may have problems getting warranty service from Apple on a grey-market Mac.

Since Apple tightly controls the pricing on brand-new Macs, it isn't worth the few dollars difference to risk being scammed. I recommend purchasing directly from either an Apple brick and mortar store, or Apple's online store.

However, there is a good way to get a good discount (often hundreds of dollars less) on what is virtually a brand-new Macintosh. Purchase a "factory refurbished" Mac directly from Apple online.

"Factory refurbished" Macs that you purchase directly from Apple's online store:
http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals
are indistinguishable from a brand-new Macintosh, only they are significantly cheaper. They are the best deal you can get on a new Macintosh.

Apple "factory refurbished" computers are usually computers that come down the assembly line and which test out as having a problem. They get pulled off the assembly line and fixed by hand. They are then rigorously tested to make sure they work perfectly. For some legal reason, they can't be sold as "new" anymore after doing this. But to you and I, a factory refurbished computer from Apple is no different than any other brand new computer. In fact, it's better than a new computer, it's been tested several more times to make sure that it runs perfectly than most computers from the assembly line.

How do I know? Apple's old iMac factory is here in nearby Elk Grove. I went there on tours several times back when they still made iMacs here. We actually stood and watched while computers were pulled off the line after failing tests. Our guide explained that a factory refurb was one of the best deals around.

Now...if you are offered a refurbished Mac at a brick and mortar Apple store (or from any other store), it might be a customer return. It might even be someone's lemon that the store wants to get rid of. (I've heard of this happening way too often.) But the ones that you get mail-order from Apple usually aren't. They are the best deal on a Macintosh you can get.

A refurbished Mac comes with the standard one year warranty that other Macs come with, and you can purchase AppleCare to bring coverage to a total of three years, like any other Mac.

I've purchased at least a dozen factory refurbished Macs myself. I've never had a problem with one.

OP
C
Reaction score
Re Post

First off, I want to thank everyone on this thread for sharing their knowledge, as new member to the forum it is extremely pleasant to be greeted with such a plethora of responses.

If a vendor offers to sell you a brand-new Macintosh, unless the vendor is an "Apple Authorized" vendor, than what you will be getting either isn't actually brand-new, or it will be what is known as "grey-market goods", which means that the product is illegally being sold by a non-authorized vendor.

Mr. Singer, I was wondering what you think about this Macbook Pro Amazon, as it is what I was thinking of purchasing:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011CX5R06/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Would this refurbished Pro be the equivalent?
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/G...-28ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

Thanks again, I will look into those refurbished Macs as you recommended as well.
Best,
Capatane

Reaction score
Mr. Singer, I was wondering what you think about this Macbook Pro Amazon, as it is what I was thinking of purchasing:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011CX5R06/?tag=macforums0e4-20

"Frapple" (the vendor) is not an authorized Apple retailer. Indeed there are only a handful of vendors authorized to sell Apple equipment over the Internet:
http://www.macprices.net/resellers.shtml
The product you are looking at is grey market, and as such there is no warranty on it from Apple. If you read about the warranty on the Amazon page, it says several contradictory things. That's probably because, if you take this laptop to Apple for warranty repairs, they will refer you back to the vendor. The only warranty will be coming from the vendor, not Apple.

Have you heard the old saying that if a price on the Internet seems too good to be true, it probably isn't?

Amazon is renown for their counterfeit and grey market goods. See:

"According to a new lawsuit from [Apple], a whopping 90 percent of the products sold by Amazon and purporting to be genuine Apple products are anything but. "
https://www.yahoo.com/news/think-buying-real-apple-product-221357906.html

You can compare prices and specs just as well as I can. But the huge difference between the two products you are looking at is that the one from Apple is being legally sold and will have a full and uncontested Apple warranty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Apple "factory refurbished" computers are usually computers that come down the assembly line and which test out as having a problem. They get pulled off the assembly line and fixed by hand. They are then rigorously tested to make sure they work perfectly. For some legal reason, they can't be sold as "new" anymore after doing this. But to you and I, a factory refurbished computer from Apple is no different than any other brand new computer. In fact, it's better than a new computer, it's been tested several more times to make sure that it runs perfectly than most computers from the assembly line.

How do I know? Apple's old iMac factory is here in nearby Elk Grove. I went there on tours several times back when they still made iMacs here. We actually stood and watched while computers were pulled off the line after failing tests. Our guide explained that a factory refurb was one of the best deals around.

Great story Randy. Thanks for sharing.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
capatane - have you read the buyer feedback for this seller? Woudn't touch him with a bargepole.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Bottom line, if you are looking to buy new, buy to from Apple, if you are looking to buy refurbished, buy it from Apple. Especially if you are in the US and have access to Apple. Don't bother with anyone else..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bottom line, if you are looking to buy new, buy to from Apple, if you are looking to buy refurbished, buy it from Apple. Especially if you are in the US and have access to Apple. Don't bother with anyone else..

+1

ESPECIALLY the refurbished part!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score

I'd mostly agree with that. The exception is a brick and mortar Apple Authorized vendor. There aren't a lot of them anymore, but the exception are places like Fry's and Best Buy. When you purchase a brand new Mac from them, you get the full Apple warranty, from Apple. But on top of that, these stores are free to give you additional perks. For instance, Fry's adds store warranty and store repair services on top of Apple's to sweeten the deal. That can be a valuable perk, especially if you don't live close to a brick and mortar Apple Store. (However, I'd never let Best Buy touch my Mac once I purchased one from them. Their repair services are straight from ****.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not so sure I'd let Fry's touch my Mac either. We have three Fry's stores here in Dallas - Fort Worth and I'm not particularly impressed with their service. Also, Fry's sometimes is hard to deal with when returning an item. That could be because they do a lot of business not just with Macs but PCs of all brands. Actually Fry's is a Best Buy store on steroids.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(However, I'd never let Best Buy touch my Mac once I purchased one from them. Their repair services are straight from ****.)

Agree with that Randy. I purchased a used 2011 27" iMac that still had "extra" Best Buy warranty coverage on it. I had an issue...and normally I do all my own computer repairs. But figured if I had the Best Buy warranty why not let them do the work & parts cost (BTW, the Applecare on it was expired).

The computer was having a freezing up/booting issue. Best Buy kept swapping HD's and doing fresh OS install's...and kept sending me home with a supposedly fixed computer...just to have the issue happen again...and back to Best Buy I go. As you may know...this era iMac (as well as other's)...cannot simply have the HD replaced with just any HD due to the temperature sensor issues. So by swapping the HD with any new HD...Best Buy actually complicated the issue.

I was probably back & forth to Best Buy 3-4 times...plus hours of research on my end...and no fixes. Then I ended up doing hours & hours of troubleshooting on my end. Long story short. The issue was a darn $3.00 bad HD SATA cable. The sort of issue that could be common to both Apple and Windows computers. Multiple visits & multiple computer techs at Best Buy couldn't figure out.

I'm sure some Best Buys are better than others. Not a very good experience bacically sending a customer home (with an active Best Buy warranty)...and a non-working computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Oh, I cannot count the number of times I went back and forth to the Apple Store with my first MBP, new in 2011. The one I am using now is the second new replacement after all else failed. Some of them are just Friday afternoon computers!:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Only reason I suggested BestBuy is because their prices are the same as Apple with the bonus of BB rewards that you can spend on even more Apple equipment. I know they will try to badger you into buying their own warranty instead of AppleCare, but if you stand your ground, you'll get what you want.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only reason I suggested BestBuy is because their prices are the same as Apple with the bonus of BB rewards that you can spend on even more Apple equipment. I know they will try to badger you into buying their own warranty instead of AppleCare, but if you stand your ground, you'll get what you want.

I would purchase a computer from Best Buy...no problem. Still have exactly the same 12 months of Applecare...and can take it to an Apple Store anytime. I just prefer to not have Best Buy service/repair my computers. In my opinion Best Buy techs just don't know Apple computers as well as Apple techs.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe you can purchase Apple Care from Best Buy nor can you use your Apple Gift cards or iTunes Gift cards in their stores. The best place to buy Apple products is from a US Military Exchange. Of course you either have to be on active duty or retired. The Navy Exchange in Fort Worth stocks all Apple products but they go fast. Prices are usually discounted and there is no state tax at military exchanges.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I know you can purchase Apple Care from other than Apple. As a matter of fact, the best place to purchase it is from B&H Photo in NYC. It's where I purchased my last two Apple Care warranties from. What I was saying is that I don't believe you can purchase it from Best Buy. Best Buy wants you to purchase their warranty.

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.