• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

burst your bubble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
sorry to burst yuor bubble here guys but the G5 notebooks are not coming out before the end of 2004 and probably not until the middle of summer 2005

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
What is your source for the above information?

I agree with you...I don't think its likely that a PBG5 will appear before Macworld San Francisco in Janurary...but I have no information beyond rumors and guesses. (Which is what the Rumors and Reports section is for, after all.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm guessing we won't see a G5 powerbook until at least 2006. Look for a dual core G4 (that Moto is working on) before then...

M

Matt

I beg to differ, schweb. I think Apple knows they have to work fast and fairly quick on this, otherwise they will be left behind in the ever developing world of Intel and AMD. I think Apple should create other processor families, instead of just the "G" range.

I think Apple should bring out a different range of processors for notebook, like the Intel did with centrino, but maybe call it G5m (for microporcessor) or something to retain the G5 processor reputation of speed, but without the heat and energy issues. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Matt said:
I think Apple should bring out a different range of processors for notebook, like the Intel did with centrino, but maybe call it G5m (for microporcessor) or something to retain the G5 processor reputation of speed, but without the heat and energy issues. ;)

So... maybe a dual-core G4?

M

Matt

Yeah maybe, but people will still mumble about it being a G4 still, even though it might be only slightly less or around the same as a single G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I think that the next CPU generation of the Powerbook might be Freescale (ex-Motorola CPU division). They continued to work on the PowerPC development, and might bring a dual-core for notebooks. And I'm pretty sure it won't have the "G"-name ;)

Anyway, the actual G4 and the first G4 don't have much in common, except the name and the Altivec-unit, and even that is not entirely the same than it was back in the first.
Allthough Apple always simply called it G4, there has been a lot of evolution in that CPU, not just clock speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Matt said:
I beg to differ, schweb. I think Apple knows they have to work fast and fairly quick on this, otherwise they will be left behind in the ever developing world of Intel and AMD. I think Apple should create other processor families, instead of just the "G" range.

I think if Apple could have put a G5 in a PB a year ago they would have done it. I know Apple wants it done and done quickly, but regardless of what they want, there are technical issues stopping it, including the fact that the G5 chip itself is just too physically big to fit into a PowerBook at this point. And those issues won't be solved quickly at all. The only solution right now would be for Apple to make the PBs way thicker to help with size and heat issues and you know that's not going to happen.

As I said before, look for the dual core G4 before a G5 and I still hold to my original prediction of no G5 PBs before 2006

T

Temporary

Apples worldwide marketing director Tom Boger recently stated no G5 powerbooks "anytime soon"

N

Nightblade

What about eMacs? They're definitely not compact! That's why they're so cheap, because they have CRT screens and are large and annoying to handle. Apple's already made an iMac compact enough for a G5 processor, and considering that eMacs are much bigger, THAT could be the next piece of hardware with the G5 processor. And of course, PowerBooks will be after that, and then eventually, iBooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really, really doubt the eMac is going G5 any time soon. Although I could be surprised.

I

iSheep

The only thing about that is that the eMac is suppose to be cheap and affordable - a G5 processor may increase the cost - however, isn't this G5 iMac cheaper than the G4? That could be because technology is generally more affordable, however, but you could be right.

As they can get a G5 into the new iMac, then perhaps they'll give a shot at a G5 Cube - that's something I would buy, say, in 6 months' time.

I

iSheep

After reading through some of the rumors spreading around, it appears that with the affordable iMac for education, that the eMac G5 will never exsist and the product will be discontinued.

I

Icarus

Perhaps it will get dual G4's...and once once the G6 is released, (or whatever the next one is called) then the eMac will get one of them G5's.

N

nicholas

I think I'd rather have a dual 1.5Ghz G4 Powerbook than a single 1.6Ghz G5 Powerbook. But seeing as that powerbooks take forever to catch up to their desktop counterparts with the same processor, the first G5 Powerbooks, if RELEASED TODAY, would probably only be about a 1Ghz G5.

M

Matt

I would very much doubt apple will put a G5 in an eMac anytime soon, if they did people would buy them instead of the expensive machines. It may be easier, but not fesible profit wise.

schweb, are you serious about G5's not even fitting in a PB :confused:. Wow, I thought it was only heat and power consumption issues. If this is the case, I would expect a freescale idea like avalon said, I think it's outradeous to stick with a processor for 7 years (till 2006) for Apples expensive PB's, or for that matter any computer product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
As I said, Matt, the G4 of today is not exactly the first G4. It might still be the same CPU family, but that's pretty much the only thing they have in common.

It's the same for Intel's P4... The very first and the ones they make today are quite different...

Same, but different... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other thing to realize also Matt is that a single G5 chip is really not all the much better than a G4. The G5's power comes in when it's in a multiprocessor configuration. And the chances of that ever happening in a PowerBook are about next to nothing if they still can't do it with a G4.

So all in all, you're not losing too much by keeping a G4 in a PowerBook. Especially if they can get a dual-core G4 in there.

And to be absolutely honest with you, with all the G5 production issues, I'd rather see them get that fixed before releasing yet another system that will be in short supply because they can't get the chips. I'm worried for the iMacs....

Heck, I'd wouldn't even mind a G3 with an altivec core in a PowerBook. The battery life would be amazingly better than what it is now...

P

PinkPhishDoors

schweb said:
The other thing to realize also Matt is that a single G5 chip is really not all the much better than a G4. The G5's power comes in when it's in a multiprocessor configuration. And the chances of that ever happening in a PowerBook are about next to nothing if they still can't do it with a G4.

So all in all, you're not losing too much by keeping a G4 in a PowerBook. Especially if they can get a dual-core G4 in there.

And to be absolutely honest with you, with all the G5 production issues, I'd rather see them get that fixed before releasing yet another system that will be in short supply because they can't get the chips. I'm worried for the iMacs....

Heck, I'd wouldn't even mind a G3 with an altivec core in a PowerBook. The battery life would be amazingly better than what it is now...

Yeah but the FSB is a HUGE jump in G5s

And 64-bit-it is the beginning........... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but Mac OS X won't be truly 64-bit for the foreseeable future given all the non-64 bit chips they still need to support. So that doesn't really matter.

Fast bus, sure....but just keep in mind the power requirements of all of this. And there's nothing saying a G4's bus speed can't be raised substantially either....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.