burning movie to dvd

Reaction score
Hi I am a newbie to this site, and not very good with technical problems, I have created a movie from small video clips on the iPhone, and made a movie in iMovie 09 (version 8.0.6) I shared it to idvd (version 7.1.2) and tried to burn it but it gets to 3 minutes left and the disc ejects, I have tried this a few times now and it does the same everytime.
I have since tried save as disc image and also somehow saved it on my desktop as a m4v file,nothing seems to work.
I have looked around and other people suggest some software called 'burn' I am abit unsure as I try not to download anything that is not supported by apple.

Can anyone perhaps suggest anything?
I am using OS Yosemite version 10.10.5

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I loved the menu options that iDVD offered but it could be a pain to burn successfully. I say this as someone who experienced many crashes over the years. It's perfectly OK to use Burn. I have it on my current system and use it for the few occasions I need to burn DVDs. When you run it for the first time the OS may complain about it not being recognized. See here for more details. The DVD menu options won't be as fancy as those provided by iDVD though.

Here'a the link to Burn.

If you have already created the video file or disc image Burn should work

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply and help :) I got 'burn' and tried different file formats but it still didn't burn properly, I'm not sure why?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
How much free hard drive space do you have available? Burning a video DVD can take a significant amount of space during the burning process, What happened when you tried the burn? Also were you using the mp4 movie file or the disc image to burn?

If you are using the video file as your starting point try this and see what happens:

1. Launch Burn
2. there are four tabs at the top of the window (Data, Audio, Video, Copy). Select "Video".
3. Burn wants to name the disk "Untitled" change that if you like. There is a drop down menu on th right that is probably set to VCD. Set it to DVD Video.
4. Drag your video into the menu or use the +/= symbol to open a selection window.
5. Click Burn.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.