Burning large video files

Reaction score
Hi, I have a couple of large video files, 2.5 gb, that I need to burn to a dvd but I have no idea how to go about that. I have both a MacBook Pro and an iMac. I'm not sure which would be best to do this on. I have iDVD on both, but in reading a little about iDVD it seems more like something I'd us to edit a home video. Would iDVD work to (put) the file onto the dvd. I'm in way over my head on this one…….

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If your video needs any editing or menus added, you will need to start by using iMovie for editing and then click File -> Share-> File your movie to create a file to use with iDVD which will then author it and burn it to a DVD.

Here is a link with a pdf manual for how to use iDVD:

https://www.apple.com/support/idvd/#

If you are unfamiliar with iMovie also you can google for tutorials

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Let's start with a very basic question: What are you trying to accomplish with this DVD? Are you planing to play the files back on a stand alone DVD player attached to the TV? Are you trying to play the files only on the computer? Both?

The answer to that question will determine how the files need to be burned to DVD.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies. The video files are art how-to videos and I want be able to play them on either my iMac or my MacBook Pro. I had the option to purchase the dvd or purchase the downloadable files cheaper. I chose the cheaper method and now I'm stumped as to how to go about burning the files. I have been reading a little more on this and was reading that I can use a 'burn folder' …. That sounds pretty nice and simple. Do either of you have any thoughts on that? I'm really into simple since I am not very techie.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that additional information. Since these files are going to be played back using a computer you can indeed use the burn folder method. Here are directions for using a burn folder to do what you want.

If you already have a burn folder in place start with step 3 in the create burn folder section.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you soooo much. It certainly does sound simple. But .. you have me curious now. With this method would I be able to use it in a regular dvd player also?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. for that you would need to first create the type of files that the DVD player expects from a standard dvd. It si not complicated but can take a bit of time for the authoring process. You can do it with iDVD which you already have.

iDVD is a great program but can be a bit "crashy" at times. Toast Titanium from Roxio (not free) also does this though the menus in iDVD are much nicer.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you. Although its very interesting … like I said, I am really into simple, lol. I'll go the 'burn folder' route.
Thanks again for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.