Burning DVDs

Reaction score
Is there a safe, reliable application for burning DVDs to an external hard drive-really need to get rid of all those full length movies I bought in DVD format! Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hello and a very warm welcome to our Forums.

There may be a problem here, if I understand your situation correctly.

You purchased movies in DVD format. Now you want to copy them to an External Hard Drive (EHD). As far as I know, this is probably illegal as these movies are copyrighted. I understand that you own the DVDs and presumably want to copy them for reasons of having them all on one EHD and/or wanting to guard against accidental damage to the DVD.

Nonetheless, I don't think there is a legal way of doing this, whilst acknowledging that this is a grey area. No doubt a Google search will provide ways and means of achieving your objective.

I don't mean to be unhelpful, but equally don't want to breach Forum rules.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Hello and a very warm welcome to our Forums.

There may be a problem here, if I understand your situation correctly.

You purchased movies in DVD format. Now you want to copy them to an External Hard Drive (EHD). As far as I know, this is probably illegal as these movies are copyrighted. I understand that you own the DVDs and presumably want to copy them for reasons of having them all on one EHD and/or wanting to guard against accidental damage to the DVD.

Nonetheless, I don't think there is a legal way of doing this, whilst acknowledging that this is a grey area. No doubt a Google search will provide ways and means of achieving your objective.

I don't mean to be unhelpful, but equally don't want to breach Forum rules.

Ian

Thanks for your prompt response. By no means do I want to breach forum protocol nor break any laws!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Is there a safe, reliable application for burning DVDs to an external hard drive-really need to get rid of all those full length movies I bought in DVD format! Thanks.

Thanks for your prompt response. By no means do I want to breach forum protocol nor break any laws!

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You've not told us where you live, but in the USA, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and Digital Rights Management (DRM) prohibit the reproduction of copyrighted visual media, such as films and TV shows - when I play my commercial DVDs/BDs (have over 700), the inevitable FBI Warning at the beginning is a reflection of DRM principles making copying the media illegal. So, I have to agree w/ Ian - however, this remains a debated and controversial issue - e.g. checkout this recent Discussion.

Now, there are certainly ways to remove the DRM protection from visual media, and as already stated, some 'googling' will generate a bunch of hits - BUT, the process is still illegal in the United States at the moment. Whether the 'fair use' practice (i.e. of making a backup copy of your purchased video media) will eventually be adopted remains unknown. Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.